Any 70/71/72 Z28 owners? Engine date/stamp and cowl tag info needed.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 7173LT, Dec 15, 2017.

1. 7173LT

7173LT Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Anyone with 70-72 numbers matching Z28..
    I have a 71 Z28 4 speed car built in the last week of August 71. Couple questions..
    How far BEFORE the build date of your car is.....
    (1) The actual cast date on the rear of the engine block?
    (2) The stamp/assembly date on the front pad of the engine block?

Also, I was told the fact that the cowl tag build date of the car is so late in the year that it is considered a 72. Yes it has the floor mounted gas pedal..if that means anything.
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    If the car has 71 on the cowl tag and the VIN shows it a 71, it can't be a 72. No exceptions.
    What makes you think the car was built the last week of August 1971? If the VIN and cowl tag say 71, it is more likely it was built the last week of August 1970. The casting dates should tell you for sure.
    twozs likes this.
  3. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Please post a picture of the cowl tag and Vin number...
  4. 7173LT

7173LT Member

Mar 21, 2017
    The car is in storage so I can`t get a snap of the cowl and vin till next week,, but,, 08E was the build date and I`m 90% that the cowl tag says 71 as well as the 10 bolt rear was a 71 cast date as well.
    One of my major questions to you guys with all original cars is....What is the build date on your cowl tag?, what is the cast date on the rear of the engine?, what is the stamped assembly date on the front pad of your motor. I need to see how far apart all 3 are from one another as an average. I have a real 71 Z with non original motor and want to get it as close as possible to original in the engine bay. I have the right heads and intake already, just need the right date on my block.
  5. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015 utah
    My 73 has a 02A cowl tag date and the engine was stamped Jan 31 and the casting date is Jan 2
  6. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    My engine casting date is “A 19 1”. The block stamp on the pad is “V0120 CGP”. The date on my cowl tag is “01D”. My NCRS data report lists the GM official Production Date as 1/25/1971.

Years ago, another member on this forum inquired about his casting date and the stamped date being so close together which seemed unusual to him. We discovered our cars were built within the same week. Casting date and stamped date were similar - very close time span. This may have been due to the time of year but no one has ever explained.

7. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    My former Citrus Green 70 Z28 with auto had;
    Block cast date of June 20
    Head casting dates of June 20 and June 23
    Block stamp date of June 29
    Cowl tag 2nd week of July
  8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    My 70Z has a block cast date of March 18. A engine pad stamping of V0406CTB April 6 and a TT of 04B second week of April. I don’t have an NCRS report of the build start day, but believe it to be late on the second week of April.

There can also be some confusion due to Julian dating and week overlaps. 03E does not always blend gracefully into 04A. Shift changeovers and holidays etc can add confusion.
  9. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Wouldn't the OP be better of looking for a 71 CE block for his car ,rather than having a non original close casting date
  10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    73block-1.jpg NUMs005.jpg trim tag.jpg numbers.jpg march 16 cast ( C163 ) . block assembly 03 22 ( march 22 ) and 03D car start assembly . trans is feb 16 .. 73 callender.jpg