Another dash speaker question

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Jeep43, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I searched but still cloudy. I remember modifying my old 73 center dash speaker to take 2 smaller 3 1/2's I think but that was a while ago.

My 74 has an aftermarket din radio and no speaker there at all, perhaps removed. I want to put speakers in the front but am not sure what will bolt in. I see Custom Autosound offers a few options.

upload_2017-3-2_8-50-27.png

For "mono" cars a dual speaker "plate",

[​IMG]

an oval speaker with 2 voice coils.

[​IMG]

For "Stereo" cars small round speakers on aluminum brackets. I never seen these before. Where are these supposed to mount? I assume the factory never offered front speakers anywhere else than the center dash right? Maybe these bolt to the bottom of the dash frame??

[​IMG]

Whats the hot setup?? Not a big audiophile but I want to crank the tunes on a nice summer day and want everything stock looking.

Since I have no center dash speaker at all, is there some sort of bracketry I may be missing that is needed for the first two options??

Attached Files:

2. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    1980-81 Firebirds had dual front speakers as an option. I am attempting to adapt them to my '77 Camaro. There is just one snag. The driver side speaker magnet hits the top of the instrument cluster housing. I had to make a notch in the housing for clearance. Maybe that is why Chevrolet never offered that option in the second gen Camaros. Replacement speakers are available for that application. After some research I recommend the Infinity brand.

Attached Files:

3. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    Following this. I have 6x9 3 ways in the package shelf and 6" in the doors but being so low they don't give me the highs and fill needed. Want to do either the first or second pic you showed which I think will fill in the sound I'm missing

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
  5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    That's a sweet mod . Haven't seen that one yet