another clay question

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by cgibsong002, Jun 14, 2012.

1. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sorry for another topic but I need a quick answer. I just found out that I need to make my '94 mustang presentable for tomorrow and its covered in tree sap and the only chance I have to do something is super early tomorrow before work. So basically I need to do the best I can in about an hour and a half. I figure my only option is to wash and clay it. Can I clay it without drying the car from the wash? Or does water itself not lubricate well enough? What about if I spray the quick detailer on top of the non dried car?

I know none of this is ideal but I don't have many options

2. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

Aug 16, 1999
    AZ
    You should be able to spray the detailer on a wet car and clay it that way. Good luck doing it all in an hour and a half though.

3. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. If I had a choice, I wouldn't be.

4. mshaeffer

mshaeffer Member Lifetime Gold Member

after you clay it dont you want to rewash and then wax?
    Wont it pull up the wax you have on?

5. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    If you're using a harsher detergent, aka, dish soap, then yes. They're meant to remove 'wax' and grime.
    Car wash soaps are meant to leave the wax be though.

6. cd

cd Veteran Member

Dec 10, 1999
    Bloomingburg N.Y. usa
    You can use water as the lubercant, I do it all the time. Its alot cheaper and works well. You will feel the clay move easily on the paint. I always wash the car 1st to remove the grime, dont want to clay with dirt on the car. Then clay and rewash. Then wax car as clay does remove wax.

7. POS71RS

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    Do you think it would be worth the while to wash with a dish soap to remove wax, clay-bar it, then wash n'wax?

It's been many years since I've used one, but I thought that the wax kind of glazed my clay bar a bit as I rubbed it in.

8. cd

cd Veteran Member

Dec 10, 1999
    Bloomingburg N.Y. usa
    You can use dish soap if you want to strip the wax that it has on it off. I own a detail shop in FL and I useally dont strip the hole car down, but then I clay the hole car and that does take wax off. Its your preference. I have never had a problem with claybar being glazed. I use clay magic red bar , I have found it to be the best for me. I do alot of paint overspray removal, seems that in FL when they paint things they get it all over the place. You should be fine. You will see a big difference once your done

9. bowtie98607

bowtie98607 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Vancouver, Washington
    Miracle whip take's off tree sap like magic! Living in the evergreen state, it is a requirement.

10. POS71RS

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    really?... the mayonnaise -type stuff??? That's amazing... and bizarre.