And now for something completely different...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

You're right. Those and the Powerflite Chrysler transmissions let the engine wind up into the power curve and only have one shift to live behind high power.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In the last couple of years more guys are going to a 3 speed auto.
    They seem to think it's a little quicker, but that's a fight that doesn't seem to be settled yet??
    Some big power guys are also going with a smaller spread on their glides.
    I'm still running a basic Coan big dog with a 1.80 1st gear that I paid 1/2 the dough for, $4250.

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Torqueflites were tough enough they were used by the RamCharger race team. With the push button shifter, they'd wind up and then punch 1st, then 2nd, then Drive down the track. It took some serious horsepower to overcome the reaction time that made.

4. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    My first car was a 67 Olds with a 2 speed "Jetaway" transmission. Totally different than a glide. Not only did none of the parts interchange but the Olds trans had a switch pitch torque converter. At low throttle opening the converter had about 1300 stall and when you went past about 2/3 throttle it went up to 2600 stall. There was a switch connected to the carb via a small chain that you could adjust. The passing gear was actually the converter unlocking to bring the engine speed up.