American Autowire 510581 wire kit

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by rawb, Jan 18, 2018.

1. rawb

rawb New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Providence Village Tx
    I just pulled the trigger and bought this wire harness kit. I have an 81 but the harness is for 78-80. I put a new create motor and 5 speed tremec 600 in. I do not plan on using the computer so I figured this kit to work fine. My question is now did I make a mistake going with that kit as mine is an 81 and has anyone used this kit (tips, tricks and challenges?).

2. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I have one, but haven't finished installing it yet. I got it because of several recommendations. So far everything has been well marked and documented. The kit makes rewiring a car about as easy as it can get, which doesn't mean it's easy! ;) As far as the different model year, I can't really help you on that other than from what I know, there isn't a whole lot of difference between an 80 & 81. Wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense for Chevy to make big changes in the last model year of the 2nd gen.

rawb likes this.
  3. rawb

rawb New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Providence Village Tx
    I started installing it this weekend. I’m wiring the motor first so I can pull the car in and out of the garage. I noticed that the fusable link between the altenator and starter appears to be falling apart. Going to call aaw tomorrow.