AMD radiator support-not for ac radiator

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Chuck71RS, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    AMD x350-3570 (1970-1973) radiator support opening (20 1/2") is 5 3/4" narrower than the factory ac support of 26 1/4".

On the AMD, outward from the opening, is a stamped lip where the cooling edge of the larger ac radiator would be. The location contacts of the ac radiator sitting on the support matches with the factory original.

Will use a jigsaw to enlarge the opening (once my thumb has healed).

Neither JEGS or AMD websites have information that an ac radiator would not fit

Called AMD and talked to supervisor **** who said he would pass it up the line. At first he did not want to include the ac difference on the AMD website because he would have to do the same for other part variations. He also said he did not think it would matter that only a couple inches of cooling surface was blocked. I included this for I believe his expressed attitude is as important as the problem with the part.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Good to know and I disagree with him. I think it could make a difference.

3. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Yes it will make a difference.. Chevrolet had 2 versions of the radiator core support, the narrow opening and wider 26" opening for cars with AC and performance motors. If you ordered a replacement core support from Chevrolet you had to cutout the stamped lip around the narrow opening for a wider 26" radiator. Sounds like aftermarket core supports are made the same way.