AMD Fender Fit

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Grizzlyman, Oct 10, 2016.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

Funny I said this a year ago....good thing I didn’t hold my breath lol

2. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    NS Canada
    IMO Your gap problem sounds more like the header giving you the trouble , more so than the fender .

3. BitGid

BitGid New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I like AMD for fenders. Put a Dynacorn SS hood on my 68 & it was excellent. Saw a Dynacorn 69 complete body shell ($13,000 +) being installed & it looked pretty good too. Assume any vendor brand will need some tweaking & some body work it make it perfect. If you buy AMD panels because they are thicker, be sure to check the "roll" on the edges.
    BitGid.com

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Can you explain a little more??
    The RH gap is fine front to back. About 1/8" all the way. The LH rear corner of the hood scrapes the fender and there is a 1/4" gap at the header. The LH fender lines up almost perfectly w/ the door. I've done a 'X' measurement on the clip, so I 'believe' it's square.
    Any input is appreciated.

5. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    NS Canada
    I was thinking the fender will only move as close to the hood as the header panel will let it . A new fender will run the same line . From what I have read about reproduction panels , I would measure from centre header panel LH and then centre RH looking for a difference ! Then the same on the hood , centre LH& RH front and back edge , then corner to corner ! Use the edge of some tape for a fine line to get your measurements .

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    That's a good idea. I'll give it a try.
    BTW guys, I ordered the AMD fender on line on Sunday the 25th. Well at 0835 today, I got a call from a shipper. He was delivering my new AMD fender. That's service. From GA to VA in 2 plus days.
    When I have more info on it's fitment, I'll post that info.

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I just ordered 2! Ill let you know how they fit!

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Installed my AMD fender and the fit is pretty good. All the bolt holes lined up w/ no issues. The top corner, at the windshield, is a little tight up against the A piller. The metal thickness does appear thicker than the other repop fenders I have. I don't have a metal thickness gauge.
    This fender looks so good, I'm almost thinking about buying the RH fender too.
    It certainly has my vote of approval.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Wish they would sell just the bottoms with the inner bracing. Want to use it to fix my original fender.

10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    dude, Im right there with you. I bought the "best" patch panels, the pictures online didnt show the bottoms of the panels, They didnt have the holes, indentation, or anything. such a waste of money. I tried cutting and welding one one, and far away, you dont notice it, but up close it looks like a train wreck. Im not going through this much money and work, to half ass it, so I just ordered 2 of the new fenders. hopefully they are as good as they say they are.