Aluminum oxidation on transmission case and to get rid of it??

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 19, 2018.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    That's what I have used before.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Most trans are painted when bought online. Probably due to the corrosion problem of a freshly cleaned case. Funny but if you ran it behind an oil leaker it will preserve the finish under the gunk. In Florida the cars rust from the top down if they sit too long outside. The condensation is brutal here. It collects under the roof and hood then runs down to the edges. Plus salt in the air B/C we are surrounded by Ocean. Up north cars sit for ever and stay pretty well intact except for the salt from the roads that kill the underside.
  3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fluid film does not stink. It actually has rather pleasant odor and is non toxic and lanolin based. It will last a long time ad what little odor there is goes away very quickly.
  4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I didn't know about fluid film...went to the parts store and got some. Spray it on the engine and tranny and wiped it down. I'm happy with this stuff...the transmission is a little more "wet" than I would like it....but it's shiny and doesn't have the oxidization on it now that it did. Thanks for the help on everything everyone

2018-02-28 18.52.45.jpg 2018-02-28 18.52.54.jpg 2018-02-28 18.57.03.jpg

Attached Files:

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Give it another good wipe down after a couple of days to keep it from attracting dirt. From an oxidation perspective it is better to leave a light film on, but it will get dirty faster.

Fluid film is a great lubricant and works where you would use PB blaster or any other penetrating oil as well. I use it on anything that I would use WD 40 on or light oil/grease such as door hinges or hood hinges .great stuff.
    1971CamaroGuy likes this.
  6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I think fluid film stinks. But I've been using it on some things, seems to work ok
  7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

FLUID FILM does not have any particular bad smell .....from my 5 year history of using
    many cans....

Fluid Film meant to be a Rust Inhibitor not a penetrating fluid like Kroil or PB Blaster

Last week I bought a Gallon of Alumnum Brightner from NAPA part # 1478 (mfg by MAC's)
    for cleaning some oxidazation from an Aluminum Racing Radiator Fins......
    Sprayed from hand pump spray bottle, left on 30-45 seconds and hosed off
    with Hot Water

Ordered At NAPA online $15.00 and picked up at my local NAPA.....

Worked well

8. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Smells like hand lotion to me...not that bad
  9. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Blast it with crushed walnut shells.
  10. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Try quick-glo original formulation.
    It is an abrasive, but with mild use will not bring out a polish.
    Also, it leaves a wax, which helps with keeping this clean.
    It works well on intake manifolds, which usually look best natural, and are commonly seen.