Aluminum oxidation on transmission case and motor...how to get rid of it??

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 19, 2018.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I cleaned my motor and transmission last summer with some purple cleaner and engine cleaner (no easy off oven stuff). And it cleaned it.

But now whenever the motor and transmission has any moisture on it...it causes these white chalky speckles

It wipes off, but I was wondering if there was something I could treat the metal to prevent this in the future? Especially before i install this in the car.

I do not want to paint any of this...trying to keep the natural look

2018-02-19 15.51.52.jpg 2018-02-19 15.51.59.jpg

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Tried some mothers mag and aluminum polish...it seems to work and hopefully will seal this up and prevent this from happening again for a while. Picking up a powerball to hit it with that.

3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Your aluminum castings were NOT polished and you DONT want to polish them now.....

Not sure what Id used to clean the aluminum and remove the white particles....
    A stiff nylon brush and a detergent solution or maybe a "Purple Power" style cleaner???

After they were cosmetically clean to your eye, I would spray with FLUID FILM, LPS3 as a
    corrosion inhibitor, let the FLUID FILM ...soak onto, into metal ....and then come back and
    wipe dry......

All those steel fasteners started out with a Manganese Phosphate Coating...should also be toothbrushed with FLUID FILM

4. Desert_Dick72SS

Desert_Dick72SS Veteran Member

Feb 10, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Was never a problem on my cars in Northern CA, but since moving to Florida, anything left outside for more than a month turns white.
    Probably only solution is to polish and clearcoat?

-Rich

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Looks like classic high humidity aluminum oxidation. Cleaning it well opened up the pores and is exposing the raw aluminum to water.

You either isolate the metal from humidity via a coating of some sort or reduce-modulate the humidity to slow it by a conditioned atmosphere (climate controlled garage with heat-ac to reduce humidity and steady the temp swings). This time of year is particularity bad due to drastic temperature swings causing condensation on the metal. If the trans case gets warm during the day and then cools rapidly at night, water will condense.

6. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Clean with acid tire cleaner and scrub brush, rince, dry, spray on clear coat in a can.

As stated, aluminum will oxidize very quickly. Using a clear coat will block the moisture from reacting with the raw aluminum. I'm not a fan of using products like fluid film or krown here as they stink, drip and don't tend to last as long as a paint does in this application.

7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Dave, Do you know or think my suggestion of using a corrosion inhibitor will
    prevent the oxidizing ......

I'm thinking any clear coat aerosol rattle can paint will only be a very temporary
    fix it at all........

8. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Dave? Dave's not here man.

It will work. I just don't believe it to be the best choice here. As long as the aluminum is prepped (which I should have included in my last post), clear sticks fairly well. Fluid film will last a year at best. Clear tends to last 3-4 from my experiences.

1971CamaroGuy likes this.
  9. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Chuck,

Not really any magic bullets. If you have the time and money and aren't worried about originality than powder coat is the way to go. Clear sulfuric anodizing works well too. Both of these require complete teardown of the trans.

A clear coat polyurethane is good, but it changes the appearance also. Never tried Fluid Film or Boeshield on aluminum. I've got some clear at home I used on my valve covers that seems to work good. Barely noticeable. I'll update this with the name when I get home tonight.

1971CamaroGuy likes this.
  10. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    The coating I gave use is called Everbrite:
    www.renewmetal.com

Not cheap but works well.

Attached Files: