Aluminium Gauge Bezel with Stock Wiper Switch

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Rayden2009, Jan 27, 2018.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I forgot about 3M! lol. Aluminum is porous and glue usually sticks to it very well. Just make sure it's sanded and cleaned good. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

2. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Member Gold Member

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    Ok, i've made some progress. I measured the space between the front of the wiper switch and the front face of the screw hole and came up with 1/2" exactly. I went to Lowe's to see if I could find some appropriate pieces to Macgyver this together. I found a 1/2" nylon spacer, which I think will do the trick. I picked up 2 #10-1/2" stainless steel screws and 2 stainless steel #10 washers. I got the washers to give a half mm additional space between the bezel and the switch. I may or may not keep this in place - depends on how this fastens together. I have everything together now, but I have not attempted to glue yet. My gauge cluster is out in that garage and its 5 F out there. I don't want to bring it in and have condensation form in my gauges. Tomorrow will be in the high 30's F so I will attempt the glueing tomorrow.

GPTEiJ2wTCamY7LPpK0dcQ.jpg
    enPN0++JRV63Ba4Qfx+A5Q.jpg
    2oY1mMKDQsCDzE71K8XYEw.jpg
    More to follow.

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
  4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I would use allen head bolts with nuts ans lock washers .So they will match your stock hardware.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I didn't know if I explained that very well, but that's exactly what I meant. Good job. Hope the glue works out.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    If it works out as planned, no hardware will be seen. The spacers will be glued to the back of the bezel, and the switch will screw into the spacers. It will look as the original one did.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Looks like a good design and I hope it holds.
    Nylon may be tough to get an adhesive to stick well.

You may have better luck if you cut a groove around the nylon spacers and dam the adhesive up all around them and into the groove.

8. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Member Gold Member

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    Ok, all done. Worked like a charm. Last night I put the nylon in a vice and ran a few grooves on the mating surface with a hack saw to improve adhesion like suggested above. I wire brushed the bezel where it would contact the nylon and cleaned both surfaces with alcohol. Once I got the epoxy on, I used some wood clamps and put it up for the night.
    BBXJbnJjSSazZP32RJri5Q.jpg
    By this morning it had set nicely. Seems very strong. Switches up and down without any movement. Best of all, its serviceable.
    z2al2QI4SvqUA2GxgX6hIw.jpg LqaLDpFsRJm1WS0LCpcOZQ.jpg 2EaznixVTtmQhRor%Z4t+Q.jpg
    Thanks everyone for your help and ideas. I would not have thought to do this on my own.