alignment - hood latch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The after market radiator core support, the two threaded openings for the hood latch are to close together.

I don't have a ready way to determine the needed distance. The fenders and hood are off the car. Disposed of my original support (Did a test fit for frame and fender connections but not the rest. Did not follow the rule of never get rid of the part that fits until the replacement is in place.)

Are the two holes equal distance from the middle threaded hole for the panel on top of the radiator? If so, what is the distance on a GM support from that middle hole to each of the two holes?

2. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I never install the latch until the entire front end is aligned. Trial fit and remove.

4. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Is the center hole for the radiator cover plate supposed to be in the center of the support? With fenders on, the distance from support-fender edge to center of the center hole
    26 15/16" - driver
    26 11/16" - passenger

5. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    image.jpg image.jpg Mine isn't even on my 73 2 1/2 on one side and 3 on the other. Its an aftermarket rad support, I know everything lines up perfectly because i had it all assembled but disassembled it for paint

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Mine too, but my center bolt for the rad hold down plate is not in the center of the rad support. But mine's not an RS either, don't know if the support is different, but didn't think that part would be different. One side is 25 9/16" and the other is 25 7/16 from the fender flanges. We must be measuring from two different points. Mine's together in a dark garage, and that's the best I could do. Bill, is your hood latch A/M? Just wondering, since Chuck's GM latch holes don't line up with the A/M rad support holes? I know it sounds crazy, but maybe the A/m latch holes line up with the A/M rad support holes?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  7. bodymanbill

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Nope everything is original except the rad support

8. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
  9. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    Original rad. Support for my 70 is 2 1/2 bolt spacing from center and the center bolt hole is 28" from both edges of the support I don't have the fenders installed. RS hood latch.

10. bodymanbill

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Mine is a non RS frt so could be the difference?