Airflow requirement

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by biker, Sep 16, 2017.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks guys! Very happy with this. Going to check out the Summit base now.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can someone make this a sticky please,
    so the next time someone claims I have no clue or make stuff up, I have proof I know a thing or 2 :p !!!!!!!!!!!!

tomsti and Mwilson like this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Update: Proform 66808 filter base with Wix 14x3 racing air filter fits perfect, no interference with hood, HEI, or QJet throttle cable. A little concerned abot the filter element, it is practically see-through. Looks like gauze, but no mention of needing oil. May go to paper filter for daily driving. Thanks for everyone's help.

Brent.

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    "so the next time someone claims I have no clue or make stuff up, I have proof I know a thing or 2 :p !!!!!!!!!!!!"

So noted.

5. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    For high filtration with high flow, contact R2C Performance. They make a filter used by the dirt track guys and it is excellent. http://www.r2cperformance.com/products/category.aspx?CategoryId=21

They also have high performance street air filters. Also excellent. All about same price as any other high quality filter. Will let your engine breath and keeps dirt down much better than a K&N or other gauze type media. Donaldson air filters are also excellent.

muscl car likes this.
  6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks for the info!
    Just watched a new episode of engine masters on Hot Rod TV. They tested many combos of filters, bases and lids against open carb as a baseline. Very worth watching.

Long and short was that direction of flow was more imprtant to making power. Velocity stack as opposed to traditional flat or drop base made way more power.

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    The bubble lid made a big difference with the drop base. Allows for a better turn into the carb. Holleys need 1” above the choke at a minimum.

muscl car likes this.
  8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

K&N filter tops have shown poor #'s on Dyno pulls both engine and chassis . domed air cleaners will make more hp than flat top air cleaners

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

I believed the same thing, and the testing showed that to be true. However, they taped off the entire filter element, leaving the filter top as the only source of air, and it proved to be one of the best performers. The conclusion was that air from above made more power than most, even through the filter top.