Airflow requirement

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by biker, Sep 16, 2017.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

HA! any and all advice/experience accepted man. A big mouth jerk would be telling me how stupid I am to just not take off the air cleaner for a pass or two.
    I' ve been through many similar scenarios as you, just with snowmobiles. External jetting/venting, ram air etc. Pretty hard to out-think paid factory engineers...

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    That 2" air filter is killing you like mrdragster said. Min 3" with a drop base for sure 4" if you can fit it in there.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Right now I am using the factory stock air cleaner with the 2" filter. Trying ard to fine a drop base that will allow me to use a 3" under the stock hood.

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just get the damn thing running right first, it might not be the issue???

If it is the issue, then you can do a lot of things to increase flow.
    I would probably just build a hat with a big inlet filter??

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I have a wieand team g single plane manifold. With a plenum height of 5" it will just fit under hood with a1/4" room left over and a drop base and 3" round 14x3 cleaner. I had to take off the trim ring for air induction hood on the 80-81. The air cleaner at 2" isnt really killing you but if its really close to the choke horn it can give you problems if under a 1" but the bubble top air cleaner helped it.

6. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

yeah 240 @ 50 & 195 heads that thing should pull hard to at least 6,000, what fuel pump and do you have a means of checking pressure at WOT? has your gas tank ever been cleaned out?

7. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Well Mr. D, you are correct! I took the air cleaner off and Holy. Crap. It revved super quick before on the primaries, but jesus it frigging rips on the secondaries now too. Night and day difference. Fuel was a problem too, but air was the biggie. Hitting the secondaries at roll on lights the tires easy.

I'd love to make a hat and remote filter, so I may do that.

80'sz, I have removed the trim ring, just havent found the right base yet to make it fit. A 70 vette base is supposed to be low too, but living in the land of shipping and bordere fees, its not easy to just try stuff.

MW: gas tank, lines and pickup are all clean and good.

Thanks for the brain power and time guys.
    Brent.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
  10. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Damn, I'm on a roll!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, and hang the hell on now that you have full power back!!!!!!!!!!!!

wiseryder likes this.