Aircraft Paint remover vs. auto paint remover

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by FNFAL308, May 1, 2011.

1. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    The aircraft paint remover is 3 times as much money. What are the benefits of using it over regular auto paint remover?

Even at $30 gal its not a bank breaker, just want to know what the real world difference is.

2. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    The aircraft paint remover is all I have ever used. It has been around for at least 30 years and is some bad azz stuff. Works great but keep it off of rubber and plastic parts,it will even burn into your tires if it gets on them. Also will eat the gel coat off fiberglass.It works great,but be careful with it and try and not get it on your skin either.

3. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    I agree, it is the chit. Follow the directions, glob it on and leave it alone. Don;t respread it over and over, and let it do the work. You'll know when it gets on your skin, ask me how I know.

4. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    if you rough up the paint with a DA and some 80 grit then cover with some plastic it will work a lot better and faster.

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 24, 2008
    NJ
    Even goes through multiple layers of latex/nitrile gloves, ask me how I know

6. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    If the cost of stripper is weighing on your mind, wait till you start buying paint supplies! I painted a set of 4 Pontiac wheels so I needed some epoxy primer, catalyst, reducer, then a dove gray single stage for the back side, reducer and hardener, then 2 colors for the front - a silver and a darker charcoal, reducers and hardeners. Then basics such as wax & grease remover, strainers, paddles, etc. The supplies for just these 4 wheels was over $250. That was 6 years ago........I started painting my own stuff in 1983 when all the premium stuff you needed to do a laquer all-over would be less than $125.

7. Matt's 73 z

Matt's 73 z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Mankato, MN. USA
    This is very good advise. I always use Saran wrap to cover my stripper because it holds the solvent in longer which allows it to work longer. Another trick is to sprinkle some silica sand over the panel before you apply the plastic. The sand will help hold the plastic off of the panel, creating a small air gap that will help keep the solvents working longer.

8. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    I was always amazed that the stuff that could eat through 6 layers of paint was powerless against Saran wrap! :)

9. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Wasn't worried too much about the cost, just wanted to know if it really worked better. Sometimes people will push a product because it is "green" and nice on the environment and you end up using 5 times as much.

I just want something that will eat like a razor back hog on crack. Less work for me. It is time to jump start this project again and I don't want to spend my days holding a loud side grinder with a wire brush mechanically removing it all. I do have a mac-daddy commercial pressure washer at 3500 psi to get it all off. I'll apply picletts after to avoid flash rusting while I work on it.

roughly about how much will I need to do the interior, undercarriage and exterior body? It is in a rotisserie and I will be doing the undersides and interior first.

Apply it with a paint brush?

10. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheboro, NC
    Aircraft stripper is great. I apply it in sections and scrape with a razor blade (in a HOLDER). My car is also on a rotisserie, so I used newspaper and a 30 gal trash can underneath for the dropping to fall in. You don't want to pressure blast that stuff off. Get it in your eyes, and it will be very bad news. It will also damage about anything (with plastic, paint, or flesh) that it comes in contact with.