Air Conditioning Bracket with Headers

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by MP81, Jun 2, 2017.

1. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Hi All,

I'm getting ready to install the headers into my '81 Z28 (LG4) this weekend (the manifolds and exhaust system are out of the vehicle as of last weekend), and I'm realizing that lower AC bracket definitely will not fit.

I did some searching and found someone recommending the Hedman 20110 bracket, but I see the reviews are a bit hit or miss.

How'd it fit on your car? I don't want to buy it and not have it fit. Honestly, I'm not too concerned if that doesn't even get bolted in - there are, what three or four other locations where it's held in place, plus the tension from the belt.

Thanks!

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I used one of those Hedman brackets.... No problem with fitment at all.
    [​IMG]
    BTW.... The bolt that goes through the first hole in the exhaust manifold can be flipped end-for-end and reused.
    Just put two nuts on it and use them to locate the bracket in the proper place.

3. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Good to know, I'll be ordering that now (Prime will have it delivered Sunday!). Then it just bolts between the header flange and the bolt - no studs or nuts needed like the factory setup?

And the first bolt - you're speaking of the front bracket that connects the AC to the power steering pump? Are you saying flip it around, and use a nut on the back side and outside of that bracket to locate it (where I see people using a spacer)?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You got it!
    That's the way I did it 10 years ago and it's never been a problem.

5. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Awesome, thanks! Seems like it should definitely work as intended! I put that stud in yesterday after we got the headers in (which, was not the most fun thing in the world - left side moreso than the right side - but both went in from above, so I was very happy with that). The AC bracket arrived today as well, so I'm going to at least try and get that bolted on - most of today has been spent on the couch, so I need to try and do something. I have this week to get everything back together - and the exhaust system on, as the annual car show is Saturday!

6. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Got that all bolted back up (that lower triangle bracket that goes on the front stud was not fun trying to align with the power steering bracket), and the compressor has decided to start hissing right at the rear, intake-manifold side, between the main housing and the back plate that bolts on...does it less when I loosen the rear slide bolt, but still present...ugh.