Air compressor mounting

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by CB-Man, Nov 18, 2013.

1. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    I did a quick search but found nothing specific.
    I took advantage of the power outage today and wired up an outlet for my air compressor and welder.
    Right now my compressor is bolted to the skid it came on new.
    I had it bolted to the floor at my last house. My garage now is small and hope to build a new shop or finish my pole barn so the air compressor hopefully will be in this garage temporarily.
    Question: has anyone ran a 60 gal air compressor not bolted to the floor? Maybe just strapped to the wall?
    Or should I just drill holes and bolt it to the floor?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Yep, mine has never been bolted to the floor.

I'll probably get told how dangerous & careless I am, but...

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Mine has been on the wood pallet it came on for years. It stays where I put it. If I ever pull it from the pallet, I'll simply put a hockey puck on each leg instead of the pallet. You don't need to attach a compressor to the floor or wall. They aren't that mobile.

4. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Mine is still on its pallet

5. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Saugerties, NY
    Mine is still on the pallet it came on.

6. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    Awesome. Thanks guys. I really didn't feel like wrestling that thing of the pallet and onto bolts in the floor

7. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    Mine has been on the wood pallet/skid for the past 10 years and never had a prob. It's 300 lbs it aint like its gonna move around that much

8. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I've done it both ways, here's what I ended up doing. I made a "pallet" out of some 2 x 4's. Put some thick foam on the bottom and used lag screws to secure the compressor to the pallet.

my lean to has a slightly sloped concrete floor so I had to use shims at the front to get the compressor level. But it worked good.

It doesn't move around and now less vibration being felt inside my shop

[​IMG]

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

At first I had my 80g IR bolted to the floor. I decided to move it to a different spot and I set it back under some shelving I built where the supports are bolted to the floor (each of which is notched every 18" so I can just slide shelves in & out as I need). I have some safety cables setup to keep it from walking, which it never did anyway. It does not move. I actually used leaf spring bushings as feet and i made it even quieter.

this is the only pic I have handy

[​IMG]

10. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Mine has been unattached to anything for years. The feet are on the bare concrete floor. It does move a little over time--like a few inches over months. A rubber mat or pads would stop it I'm sure.