Air Compressor Location

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by BamaRocker, Jun 20, 2013.

1. BamaRocker

BamaRocker Veteran Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Meridianville, Alabama
    I am trying to get an idea on where most of you have installed your Air Compressor, outdoors or indoors, let me know how you came about this location...

If indoors, is there a certain types of compressors that general run quieter...Thanks..

also feel free to share pictures...

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I have mine installed inside my garage in the middle of the 48' wall. That way, I need only a 25 ' hose to reach where I'm working.
    Putting an air compressor outside in my extreme climate would kill it too fast. I like my compressor and want it to last a long time.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have mine outdoors but under an enclosed porch so no precipitation on it. We don't have the extreme weather that Gary does either.

4. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    Indoors, front corner of my 24x36 shop, closest to the breaker panel.

5. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Indoors. Unheated garage so not much better than out, but I've heard horror stories of water/humidity issues with outdoor ones, especially in humid climates. If you have an air drier I guess that's not an issue.
    If noise is the big issue (attached garage?), look into machine isolation pads--maybe drill holes in hockey pucks--for bolting it down. That will help cut transmission through the concrete. Beyond that you can build a box around it, but obviously air has to get in and heat has to get out so options are limited.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    I havent installed mine at my house yet but it will be going in the front corner of my 36x56 polebarn right beside the enclosed walkway into my 24x54 pollbarn where my shop will be setup. Put it in the big barn just so I dont have to listen to it in my shop with me.

7. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Next to the fridge in the attached 2+ car garage. Why is it here? That's where it fit. Tire machines, brake lathe, valve refacer, mower, snow blower, and other junk plus 2 cars decided the placement for me.

[​IMG]

Still running it off air hoses, I haven't gotten around to planning out and executing a hard-plumbed solution. Every time I think about doing that I decide to do something else. It's not quiet but it's a lot quieter than the old 25 gal oil less. I prefer a deep thumpathumpathumpa to "nyaaaaaang" sound.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    The closer it is to your electrical panel, the better. Shorter run for the 220V wiring and less current loss.

My panel doesn't show in the photo - but it's about 5' to the right of the compressor.

[​IMG]

9. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    the air line location is more importen than the compresser, thank of ways you can run it up and a long ways to cool the air inside and time for the air water to condence and drop the line down and put in a drane sepperater then back up and go where ever

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Put the compressor outside of work area so you don't have to hear the noise all the time. I use black iron pipe to plumb air lines throughout garage in attic. A 2 stage compressor has advantages in pressure differential for certian applications like pumping up high pressure tires or big tires. A single stage compressor makes more cfm which is good when using certain tools like blast cabinet or cutt off wheels. A gas comressor is good becuase of its portability and ease of installation. I have a little emglo gas compressor and you can tote it with one hand and it is quieter tha an electric one!