Aftermarket rear glass shape

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Alex n, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Alex n

Alex n Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Have any of you noticed any changes in shape of the rear glass on a second gen, the one I have now is workable but not perfect. I might try another one just for kicks but if they are all exactly the same why bother, so in the vast knowledge here of the members, Have any of you noticed shape variations? Thanks in advance

2. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    I know the 70-74 PPG rear glass the upper corners are wrong, They are not curved enough and when you put the molding on it has a big gap between the glass and molding. Every single piece of PPG rear glass is the same way so I would avoid the PPG rear glass. I ordered dated rear glass from Pilkington Classic and it was Perfect.. It was also not cheap.
    Mark

3. Alex n

Alex n Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I don’t know what I have but the upper rear corners are not curved enough on this piece that is great information thank you

4. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    Sounds like you have a PPG rear glass and as bad as they are they have been like that for at least 15 years that I know of, I called the people I get my glass from and told them about it but apparently they did not do anything about it and once it is installed you brought it. LOF fits perfectly...
    Mark

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    I bought a tinted rear glass from NPD to replace my factory clear one a couple of years ago. Was made in Mexico and had a very distinct hump in the center extending out from the roof line. I never did like it and pulled it out prior to painting. The factory clear window is going back in after I have the exterior polished. Merry Christmas!!