Aftermarket radio install- wiring 72 camaro

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by 72RSStriker, Nov 21, 2016.

1. 72RSStriker

72RSStriker New Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Orion, MI
    Hello, I took out my am radio and installed an aftermarket radio. Warning..lol, I have no experience in car audio so this is my first install. Do I just need to hook up the rear speakers, and the single front and then the 12v power source wire? Any others I need to hook up to my original wiring?

Also since i only have one front speaker (for now), do I just take one side of the LH or RH leads to hook up?

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    The wiring is substantially different today over what it was in the 70's. first off, speakers now require a wire to the speaker and a ground back to the radio. You car had the ground to the frame. For your front speaker, you can get a speaker set of two speakers that will fit in the old speaker location. You will also need two power wires. The main wire for ignition and accessory to turn the radio on when you are driving and a smaller wire that is direct to the battery or an always hot connection for the memory. The common location for rear speakers is in the rear window deck but in the day when you car was built, it was often common to see surface mount speakers, although those often got stolen.

3. 72RSStriker

72RSStriker New Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Orion, MI
    MORE QUESTIONS: Im not used to schematics and I think the book for my 72 is terrible.

Can you tell me what the yellow and gray wire is for the radio harness? I know black is ground and the green/ green black is for the front speaker. I want to solder these wires to my new harness, but want to know what these two wires are for.
    radio con.jpg

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yellow is power and the grey was for illumination, back in the day when you turned on your headlights the light for the display came on. You will have to run a constant hot wire to keep the programming (memory) of the radio set, tap into the orange wire for the cig lighter, pretty sure the orange wire also goes to the rear light in the console so if you have a console you can tap into the orange wire there. You'll have to run speaker wires to the rear speaker, down along the inside of the rocker panel (driver side) just follow the harness that goes to rear lights. You might want to search google + nasty z28 dual front speakers and see how people have mopdded front speaker bracket to hold 2 4" or maybe 4.5" speakers, other wise you'll have to decide which of the front channels (left or right) to run to the single speaker, whcih probably won't sound good.

5. 72RSStriker

72RSStriker New Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Orion, MI
    for the illumination though, arent most aftermarket radios always ilumitated, Would I run this gray one to an ignition power source

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Factory speakers are different resistance than aftermarket stuff. (Factory = 10 Ohm, IIRC)
    Aftermarket decks aren't designed for the old factory speakers either. (And the speaker cone/surrounds are often times pretty well trashed too.)

My suggestion... Leave the old harness alone and wire the new head unit and speakers from scratch.