After 30 years under a blanket

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by 1946cessna, Mar 19, 2011.

1. canadianzed

canadianzed Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Survivor cars are neat, but what do you do with them - keep them in the garage and limit the mileage, add to a collectors stash, or just use it like it was built for? I have a 73 that was/is alll original when I bought it a few years back (everything). I put on new tires, hoses etc. and have only added 3000 miles to the clock in 10 years. I didn't like the stone chips/factory acrylic paint so I had a proper repaint completed (losing some of that originality) I am considering driving it more for enjoyment rather than "saving" it for the sake of an unmolested example. I should have thought it out more thoroughly before I bought the car, but that is another story.

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Good question, I let other people buy them and I enjoy looking at them and learning from them, but I would not want one b/c I would also freak out over everything.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Drive it or the next guy will. I think it's rediculous to let a car sit and have the seals harden. They were meant to be driven. What do you think the guys do at the pure stock drags at Mid Michigan Motorplex? They hammer them. You name it, COPO's , sYc, Z28's, Chevelles, Challengers, Cudas etc. These guys don't baby their cars and some are worth over $100,000.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    ooh. I had forgotten how pretty the back end of a real challenger was now that I am used to looking at the oddly proportioned modern challenger's rear end

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, it sure is purdy. Wonder if it's a Hemi or 440 6-Pack

6. blakestree

blakestree Veteran Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA USA
    I was in the same place with my car. It is pretty original, medium-low milesish. But, I bought the car with the intent of driving it. And, learning from it, as I maintain and restore. I feel like it's better for the car, to keep it loose, than to let it sit and rot. Now, if it is a truly low miles, untouched car, and you have the money to "collect", well that's a different story.

Oh, and my car will need paint and body work at some point. I won't hesitate to do it.