After 30 years under a blanket

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by 1946cessna, Mar 19, 2011.

1. 1946cessna

1946cessna Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Patuxent, MD
    VIN 1S87T4N165075
    Well, after 30 years I've grown up, had kids and am finally pulling the blankets off a 100% untouched 1974 Type LT Z-28 with 19,000 original miles. The car still has the original Firestone tires and they still hold air. The car was purchased new by my father (still living) and taken to Huntington Beach where a renown pinstriper (Shakey Jake) did a subtle pinstriping that you really cant see from more than a few yards away.

Storage of the car was in a garage and over the years it's been covered with various blankets. The tan interior is still like new with no stains, discoloration, mildew or sagging. Honestly, it smells original with a slight new smell....or maybe it's just that old chevy interior smell but there's no indication of rotting, fuel, cigarettes, air freshener etc. The engine has not been run since at least 1976 because my Dad preferred to drive a second 74 Z-28 he had purchased. He is a notorious procrastinator and is known for stashing cars and not driving/maintaining them. Just covering them up and leaving them. The Gold paint is original and in good condition. I say good because it hasn't been washed and there's some dust on the car. I did do a test by washing a small area at the window chrome trim/paint transition and it looked new as did the trim. Equipment under the hood hasn't been touched since 1976 and the only thing done was regular maintenance. No modifications whatsoever. The Wheels are original and also appear to be in excellent condition with the original tires still mounted.

The car will arrive here via Horseless Carriage in about two weeks. I plan on doing an inspection and figuring out what the best thing to do is. I do not want to restore anything however; I'd like to get the electromechanical systems back up, serviced and running. After that I'd like to sell it and buy a restorable 64-66 Corvette. I realize the vette may require some additional investment but this car could get me off to a good start. My question is, what is something like this worth. I've seen many restored prices but what about an excellent condition, factory original car? I welcome your comments and suggestions and appreciate any insight as to what the best thing to do would be. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    wow , just when you thought the last barn find is found , up comes another . more pictures please . got to be worth 20,000 plus if in the described shape . where is the shifter knob . it might answer a few questions about what the knob really looked like

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Need more pic!

How many more does Pops have stashed away?

4. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Welcome to the site. Awesome car and story. We all loves pics, so please post more :cool: :bowtie:

5. Jimmer

Jimmer Veteran Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Green Bay, Wis.
    Can anyone help at all? Looking at several speedometer cables in auction and need to know which length or lower cable route.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A pristine gold 74Z.... 4-spd and A/C.
    Not the most sought after model year but quite "collectible' in the condition you describe.

It's worth what someone will pay but it needs good exposure to folks interested in acquiring it.

Good Luck with the sale!!!

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow, 1 pic? Hardly there's no way to tell without larger and more photos.
    I say:
    Excellent:$18,500
    Good:$11,000
    Fair:$7,500

If I had my Dad's Z28, I'd keep it for what your going to get for it. And a Vette. Any part with the name Vette on it is triple the cost of a Camaro part. You'll spend more money than the Vette will get you if you sell it. It's a loosing game restoring the 63-67 Generation unless YOU do all the work including body and paint.
    If I can dig up 10 grand, I'll give you 10 grand for the 74 Z28.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  8. blakestree

blakestree Veteran Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA USA
    Awesome! Yep, if it is as original, pristine, and low miles as you say, imo, it should be worth more than a restoration. I would estimate at least $25-30,000. From the single picture, we already have the question, "where's the shifter knob?" Also, Type LT guys, is that the right bezel for '74 Type LT Z28? And, OP, where's the rust? Do you have documentation, like invoice and build sheet?

These statements seem to contradict: "...known for stashing cars and not driving/maintaining them" and "...the only thing done was regular maintenance". Cars don't like to sit for 30+ years full of fluids.

Good luck. Sounds like a real gem coming your way!

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Current auctions are only bringing in under $19,000 for an excellent car. Remember it's not a 71-73 Z28.

10. blakestree

blakestree Veteran Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA USA
    COPO, a pristine, low miles, survivor should fetch more than what Martin's Price Tracker suggests for "Excellent".

edit:
    I agree Martin's Price Tracker is an excellent gauge for value. However, it is not the final word.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011