advice wanted about rs painting and 3 stripe colour

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by MarkLT, Feb 6, 2015.

1. MarkLT

MarkLT New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thinking about adding the black Z85 Rally Sport paint option to my silver 75LT. What paint?.....flat black is pretty wide....also mines been repainted lacquer silver clear over, so how would this work?
    Any idea where I can get a template / pattern, also the tri colour breakups. My hood badge is blue white and red, but I've seen others that are black/ orange. do the stripes match the hood badge colour? seems kind of odd to have black orange stripes with blue red badge....thoughts and pictures appreciated....

2. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Pheonics graphics sells the decals. You use the same high gloss for the black as you do the rest of the car.

3. MarkLT

MarkLT New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    cheers, awesome website.....all the graphics. Any idea how to identify factory colour combination (ie what combo would have been used in 75 with silver main colour for a RS?)

4. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Only the 77 Z28's used the different colored nose emblems... all other 75-77models including the Z85 Rally Sport, regardless of stripe colors, had the Red/White/Blue emblem.

As for the black paint, to be correct, the black used on the hood, roof, rear panel, top of doors and fenders and all was a "matte black" and not a high gloss black. It's not exactly a flat black.

The correct tri-colored striping for a silver 75 RS was the dark gray/gray/light gray striping. Although, some people have used the tri-red striping which looks awesome with the black/silver, the tri-gray would actually be correct. Either way, I'd just pick a color you'd be happy with as they (the 75-77 Rally Sports) are rare enough as it is that no one would really know the difference. It's awesome enough that you are trying to re-create a Rally Sport which in my opinion is the best looking 2nd gen Camaro paint scheme... and I'm not saying that because I own a RS... it's actually the reason why I own one.

Phoenix Graphics and Stencils & Stripes make the decal kits... you can get them straight from them or even places like NPD, Classic Industries, Year One carry them - but they usually never have any in stock. Best bet is to order straight from Phoenix Graphics or Stencils & Stripes.

5. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    My buddy has a 79 and I thought the black was glossy, maybe this year was different?

6. MarkLT

MarkLT New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks guys, hopefully some pictures will follow from the wider community.....be great to see some options....for stripe colours I quite like the 75 tri blue but its early days.

About the matte black. Any idea if (really pushing here) where I could get a paint spec / code from and also how the matt holds up (with things like cleaning, silicone getting on it, or would a matte black with clear over lacqur be the smart way to go....

7. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    They now make a matt or suede clear, so technically you could use base clear and not have to worry. Let me see if my buddy can get me the paint codes.

8. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    They now make a matt or suede clear, so technically you could use base clear and not have to worry. Let me see if my buddy can get me the paint codes.

9. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I believe that would be correct for a 79. I'm 99.9% sure that the 78-80 RS's used a gloss black. 75-77 was for sure a matte black, though. 18U was the paint code for the matte black last used in 77.

I thought about using Summit Racing's "Hot Rod" black when I get around to repainting mine. It is a nice looking matte black, and heard their paints hold up very well. It's not like I would driving the car all the time, or leave it in the elements either, anyway, to worry about fading. It stays in the garage and only comes out on nice days.