Advice on Molding a Vent Into a Fiberglass Hood.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by sandiego74, Jan 29, 2018.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    So, I was a little hasty. I put the 2" filter on and fits fine, except the top of the filter (I have the K&N X-Stream top so it can suck air from above) raises in the middle about an inch or so, and the vent won't fit because of that. I'll do some shopping to see if they have any flat tops. Should be fine then.

muscl car likes this.
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Before buying an air cleaner , if you're running a Holley carb make sure the bowl vent to inside of the air cleaner lid has a minimum distance of 3/4" to 1" of clearance . if a shorter distance is noted you can run into carb perf issues from lack of airflow . This can cause driveability issues , performance will increase using a domed lid from a flat lid

sandiego74 likes this.
  3. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting thought. I will certainly make sure of this before I go that route. Thank you!

4. CamaroII

CamaroII Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Use that heat type extractor before your carb set up. If you have the rear facing opening hood scoop like the z28, it pulls air from the low pressure area at the base of the windshield to draft cool air in. This would work better if you could seal or block air in front of and beside the carb. If you have not done body work or fiber glassed before, think seriously about having it done by friends who can help and show you some basics.

5. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Finally got it "good-enough" for me. I do wish, however, I had mounted it lower on the hood, as it's sitting right atop the air-cleaner now. Still, I like the look, and it's different. Once I get the professional body work that this car needs, maybe I'll have them touch up the hood.

Don't have any great pictures of it, but here's one just after I got the car cleaned up.

IMG_3104.JPG