Advice on Molding a Vent Into a Fiberglass Hood.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by sandiego74, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Have you looked at the November 1979 Hot Rod Magazine Volume 32 Chevrolet Camaro Cover car. Chevy molded 1978-9 Z-28 fender vents into a flat hood.Or you go extreme and look at the Roadsters shop 1970 1/2 track car "rampage ,Anf even some 1970-81 IMSA race cars.

Attached Files:

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    My current hood is a steel 2 3/4" cowled hood, but I just bought a flat fiberglass hood, which is the hood I want to mold this on. But thank you for the sound advice!

3. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'd love to do something like Rampage (my favorite 2nd gen behind Brian Hobaugh's '73).

4. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    By the way, is there any particular method to smoothing out the rough areas on this hood? Can't compare Unlimited's work to anyone else's since I've never seen another freshly-made condition fiberglass hood, but this one definitely isn't perfect.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Could try to buzz it down with 320 and a DA sander. Just to see what you can eliminate. The Epoxy prime, spray some guide coat, Block it to find all your defects.

6. Alex n

Alex n Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Use west system and thicken it with one of their fillers like 403 microfibers and glue it down , no cloth needed as long as that piece has a flange on it

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Hard to tell by the pictures but it appears that vent will hang down lower than the inside of the flat hood. I'd be worried about clearance issues.

sandiego74 likes this.
  8. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Jeep43 predicted it. Just cutout and test the fitment on this '14-'15 SS vent on my new fiberglass hood, and, while it looks great, there is hardly any room between it and the carburetor. Maybe 1/2"? Thankfully, I got a good chunk of change back from doing my taxes, but still... this sucks. I preemptively bought a drop base and went from a 3" to 2" filter because I was going from a cowled-induction hood back to a stock-height hood, but it's definitely not going to be enough. I put it where it was in order for it to look similar to the placement on the '14-'15 SS's, but I wish I hadn't now...

I've got a few ideas on how to remedy this, but all are costly in either time and/or money.

1.) Get a new hood and mount the vent farther forward in order to clear the carburetor. Honestly, might just stick with the stock steel, as this fiberglass has quite a terrible fitment compared to stock, but the lightness is pretty nice, and I'm not a perfectionist, so the look doesn't bother me TOO much. Still, it would be nice to have something that fit right.

2.) Change the intake from a Performer RPM to a Performer, or something even lower, and possibly use a different style air filter/intake system. Still not sure if it would fit.

3.) I could clearance the vent by cutting the mesh out and cutting back on the lowered parts, but that just sounds like a bad idea.
    4.) My last choice, as I went away from the cowl-induction style because I didn't like how it messed with the rest of the body lines (the sharp edges of the scoop don't flow with the curvy body), but I think the easiest thing to do would be to cut the hole larger, glass in a new fiberglass scoop, and either stick the vent atop that or just not use it at all.

Here's what the vent looks like now:

IMG_3061.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3063.JPG IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3081.JPG

Apologies for the terrible pictures, by the way, as I can't really get it in the sun like I'd like to right now.​

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    muscl car likes this.
  9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You could carefully cut away the mesh to separate it from the scoop. On a flat surface sand the scoop down from the bottom by a 1/2" or whatever you need for clearance and then put the mesh back. You can trim pretty far up to get clearance without it affecting the look .

Looks like it can be solved but I don't have a clear view if the part itself.

MISSED IT- This is what you said in #3. Doesn't sound like a bad plan if you may give up on it anyway.

10. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I do like the look of the '14-'15 SS vent better, but this may be what I have to do. Could send the SS vent back and get money back on it, so there wouldn't be much of a loss.