Adding a Rear Defroster?

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by MartyO, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Hiram, GA
    Has anyone added a rear defroster to a '74?

If o, what did you do for:

- Switch and location

- Wiring harness

- Any special steps for cutting the metal structure beneath the rear package tray?

2. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Clay,NY
    As far as the switch there should be a place on the bezel for it. The fan defroster had a toggle-like switch. Possibly, the rear shelf probably has some indentations or marks where the defroster/fan goes.

3. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

I thought all f-bodies, atleast the early years, had the metal shelf pre-cut for the rear defogger. 1970 may be a one year thing, like a lot of other 1970 things. But 1971 to 1975 all had the holes stamped out, and maybe even the later years.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Minnesota
    Heres the under side of my rear shelf. You can see the holes already punched for the factory rear window defog. I have Rear window defog in my 69 and it was also punched similar to this.

[​IMG]

5. 73LT

73LT Veteran Member

Jun 9, 2002
    PA, USA
    My '73 Camaro already had the hole punched through the rear shelf.

6. Polanjl

Polanjl Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 27, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    I added one to my 74, and the shelf is already punched so it's a easy install. Easy to make the wire harness if you need to now they make the switch for the dash.

7. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Hiram, GA
    Can you show me a picture of the switch and its location on your dash?

8. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I installed one in my 77... rear deck already had the holes for it as well. I will post some pics of my switch location and the blower here in about an hour if you'd like. I found a switch that fit perfect in the factory switch location.

9. 2ndGen4Me

2ndGen4Me Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Southern California
  10. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Hiram, GA
    Thanks for all the replies!!!

I think I will start gathering the parts so that I can add the defroster to my car.

My dash had the cut out for the switch but the car was not equipped with the defroster, so I plugged the hole to blend it in. That was not a permanent plug, so I will remove it when I have the parts and do the install.