Accelerator pedal.........

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Smokey15, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I have an OER replacement floor mount gas pedal for my wife's '71 Z. The POS will, in any way, work. First, the studs are way too short to go through the carpet, padding and floor. Second, even if they did, they are mounted on the upright section of the pedal. Third, the piece is so chintzy that its lifespan would be short.
    Who makes a pedal that actually works? It need not be stock as the car is not.

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Smokey...not sure how you are installing the ball studs, but the factory intended for the carpet/jute to be cut out around the floor bracket so the floor bracket is in direct contact with the floor sheetmetal. In other words, the carpet/jute is not sandwiched between the gas pedal bracket and floor sheetmetal. The floor bracket has a border around the perimeter which, when installed, hides the hole cutout in the carpet.

The original gas pedal was a molded hard plastic...not the rubber overmolded item. OPGI makes a dead-nuts correct pedal, PN PZ00011....same as early Chevelles.
    https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1967/interior-accessories/pedal-pads/PZ00011/

Hope this helps.

Smokey15 likes this.
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Thank You. The one I have has the ball studs on the upright part.

4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    So are you saying the ball portion of the ball stud is permanently mounted to the pedal? IIRC it should be 4 pieces total (not including the rod, mount and bolts on the fire wall): one steel cup, two ball studs, & the pedal. The ball studs pass through the cup and then through piercings in the floor (affixed with nuts on the bottom side) and then the pedal just pushes down on the ball studs. Steve is way better versed in this than I :D and will chime in if I got it wrong.

5. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Your description is correct Joe. ;)

Here's a pic of the floor mounted gas pedal unique components....note this is the incorrect style and construction gas pedal.

z28 install 1.JPG

When installed, should look like this....pardon the dirty carpet...not my car.

z28 install 5.JPG

NOLAZACK likes this.
  6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    On mine, the studs are welded to the floor plate. Even though they have wrench flats, they do not turn. Removal of the nuts from the underside of the car releases the entire assembly. I think they did this at the factory to speed assembly. The guy underneath the car only had to tighten the nuts. Nobody in the interior had to hold the studs while the underside guy tightened the nuts.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine were not welded in my 70 Z28.
    I installed my orig plate on top of the new carpet but had to cut some of the rubber heel protector off the repop carpet to make it work.
    I also had to replace 1 ball with a GM part due to destroyed threads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOLAZACK likes this.
  8. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Funny, both Steve and I omitted screw #4 shown in the copy of the AIM Mark posted yet...in Mark’s last photo there is no screw #4 nor, in fact, a hole in the support (#7 - what we have been referring to as a cup or floor plate) for the screw to pass. Neither is there a hole for screw #4 in the photo Steve posted.

Interesting. I’d go look at mine but it’s on a lift over the top of a 69 with no steering gear.:( Maybe I have photo somewhere.:rolleyes:

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Thank You Guys. All I got was the pedal, not even the rubber that goes under it. I'll post pics of the pedal.

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Mine were as well. My 02C Norwood car had the studs welded or somehow attached to the plate. This really messed me up because I thought they were screw-in studs at that point and broke them off trying to remove them. This was back in the early 2000's. I had not looked at the AIM and I did not think they would use nuts on the studs outside of the body. Lesson learned for me.