? About this new one pc. oil pan gasket

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by larrylarry, Mar 4, 2018.

1. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    So I thought I’d try this new Fel Pro oil pan gasket for Gen 1 SBC the 1 pc. Directions say use no sealer but only at the junction of the timing cover & cylinder block & rear main bearing cap & cylinder block. I put sealer at each corner, right? That’s what I did anyhow. I didn’t smear any on the timing cover bridge, only on the corners, did the same on the rear bearing cap. I’m I right?

2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    Yes, that is what my approach has been when I use them. No leaks !

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    So just at the corners cause I just put it on.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I use a thin coat and a dab in the corners as well, I also use ARP oil pan studs as well,

5. ZEN357

ZEN357 Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Yep, you should be good to go.

6. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    I just did this on my build, but Ive used them before
    I also use ARP studs, they work well

7. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    I used the milodon 1 piece gasket which is better than the fel pro 1 piece .
    You might as well replace rear main seal while you’re in there

8. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I have that gasket on the engine in my street car. I did use a lottle dab of RTV on the corners. One issue I had was that my oil pan bolts were about 1 thread too short. I had to use longer bolts.

9. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I put it on a couple of weeks ago then last Saturday I was shimming the roller cam an dropped a washer into the oil pan. Glued a magnet to a wire an tried to fish it out, couldn't find it. Fuck!! Had to take the pan off but I was lucky that I didn't put sealant on the pan only the block. Oil pan came off easy, found he washer, then squirted sealant onto the pan this time, mostly in the corners.

10. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I tried the milodon 1pc with a milodon pan. When I filled the engine with oil, it leaked out of the interface where the pan wraps around the rear cap. I could easily slide a feeler gauge thru there. Not sure whats up.

I replaced with a felpro 1pc and it seems good but I have that horrible blue gasket poking out from an otherwise stock build.

As for the no RTV other than the corners, if you take silicone, coat it with RTV and try to compress it, it tends to slip around possibly squirting the gasket out of position.