Aaron's 76 Type LT Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 1, 2008.

1. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Nice Aaron, the work and the welder.

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, I'm just trying to catch up with you :D We'll see how well I can work that welder though. ;) I figured I would get something with more adjustment to make life a little easier for a beginner like me. I've watched ~10 online videos on MIG welding and it really doesn't seem *that* bad. Floor pans will be the perfect place to start. I am going to try and get some scrap metal from a body shop to practice on as well. The next few months should be a lot of fun (and probably a lot of headaches, but that's expected)

3. WhoU4

WhoU4 New Member

May 22, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Aaron,

Looking at your project is inspiring... I have a 77 LT that I plan on ripping the interior out and working on this spring (after I get the car out of storage). I really wish I could pull her apart and do the whole car right, as you are doing. Living in a condo has it's drawbacks, and piece work is one of them. Anyway Keep up the good work, looks great!

Dave

4. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Looking good Aaron!

Dave
    :bowtie:

5. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Glad I can inspire a few folks. :) While I am fortunate to have a (small) garage, I was sort of in the same boat as you. I was not planning on working on my car until we moved into our next house (that would have a larger garage), but I got that bug and just decided to make due with what space I had. I had to build a shed for my yard stuff and do some other organization projects to make this work though. So I sort of know the feeling.

Do you have any extra space inside your condo that you could keep the interior pieces as you remove them?

6. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Looks good Araon!That nice weather down there is making me jealous

7. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Brownsburg, IN
    I love the late second gen Z's but I still have a lot of love for the big bumpers.

8. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Looks good Aaron. Progress.....................I love it :bowtie:

9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks everyone, it's definitely motivating to hear the kind words. :) I think the next step is to clean up the rest of the areas I began to strip and then start on the floor pans. Once the floor pans are done I can decide how I want to finish the underbody and the cabin - still not sure how much work I want to put into those two areas. Luckily in Texas we are hitting spring time so I should see some nice weather from here on out.

10. WhoU4

WhoU4 New Member

May 22, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Yes, I have a fairly empty basement so I was thinking of storing and recovering the seats, clean up the console etc down there. I have no idea how the floor pans will look, but I'm hoping that I will just be able to use some POR-15 and not have replace any panels.

I can just see someone from the Condo board walking by and see me using a welder in the garage... :mad: