Aaron's 76 Type LT Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunately I have to replace both 1/4 panels. I don't want to jump into welding and use that as one of my first practice runs, ya know? But I hear you loud and clear. The trunk area that needs work is rather small in size and that does not need to look pretty, same with the floor pans.

Just another thing to think about. Part of me wants to just put her in the shop and let someone else do it all, but I know I could save some serious cash and use that for something else if I did the prep and painting myself.

The good thing is that this represents the lowest point of this project - I can't tear her down any more. I can only start moving forward from here.

2. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Looks like a great project Aaron, not sure how I missed this one.

ANOTHER BIG BUMPER CAR COMES BACK TO LIFE!

3. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Guy - you missed it because I hadn't posted in my project thread for a loooooong time up until recently. :D

She'll come back to life in due time - 2010 is going to be the year that happens. (ok, might happen in 2011)

4. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Aaron,just relized your the one who sent me the door trim pieces.Agian i want to THANK YOU!Its guys like you that help me have trust in other people.Ill be watching your your progress.Bob:bowtie:

5. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Took today off and was able to get some nice work done. Yesterday I degreased, power washed and scrubbed the underbody (except for the areas that I know will be replaced). I was pleasantly surprised by how good of condition the underbody is. The factory red primer is still very solid. I had intended on sandblasting the entire underbody but now I don't think that will be necessary.

I also was able to blast the firewall, but still have some touch up to do. So one step closer to being able to replace the floor pans.

Some shots of the cleaned underbody

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before and after of the firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few steps closer with many more to go :bowtie:

6. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
  7. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks man - saw that you got the flu. Hope you are doing better. I can't think of much more I hate than being sick.

8. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Looks like a great project! Glad to see another Big Bumper coming back to life! MORE PICTURES! :)

9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I hope to have some more pics soon. This past weekend was a high work-to-picture ratio kind of weekend. :)

So I have a slight dilemma. The areas that need no work are in very good shape as far as the red primer condition is concerned. But I will need to replace the floor pans, that is a definite. That means I will need to coat the new pans with something, say POR-15 or the equivalent. Do I need to blast off all the factory red primer before I put POR-15 on or can I get away with applying POR-15 over the factory red primer? I would really like to NOT sand blast any more than I have to. But I want the underbody to be consistent.

10. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Spent some time this weekend stripping paint off the shell. Removed all the paint layers from the roof top and rocker panels and took off as much as I could from the door jambs and cowl using a 4.5" stripping disc on my angle grinder. Will be getting some abrasive supplies in this week which will let me finish up these areas. I didn't touch the 1/4 panels since those will be getting replaced down the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the new addition to the family :D Floor pan replacement will begin soon.

[​IMG]