Aaron's 76 Type LT Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That was actually the issue. I put too much of the PTFE liquid sealed on the threads which affected grounding. Once I cleaned the threads the gauges work fine.

The only gauge left is the speedometer which I can't test until I put her in gear.

2. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Btw the key tumbler in my IDIDIT column wasn't quite right so I called them to discuss solutions. They offered to replace the tumbler or install a basic keyless push button start at no cost, no questions asked, which I appreciated.

They also offered to install push button start with a FOB like modern cars for ~25% the cost of the system, which I think I'm going to do. It's really too good a deal to pass up to get a cool upgrade. I'll have to ship the column to them but it's not like I'll be driving her soon.

My DD doesn't even have push button start, lol.

3. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Which column did you get from IDIDIT?

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That does sound like a great deal. I've got a keyless column from Billet Specialties and have an aftermarket keyless entry system I will be installing. The system I bought uses a credit card like piece that you have in your wallet. As you get close to the door, it will unlock and to start you push the brake in and push the button. When you walk away from the car, it will close the windows and lock the doors. Of course, that is assuming you've got power windows and locks!

5. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    This one: http://www.ididitinc.com/i-25049369...black-powder-coated.html?ref=category:1310143

It's an OEM style column. They advertise it as 70-75 but it can work for any 2nd gen. I think they officially market it as correct for 70-75 because some cars had the high beam on the column which they don't offer. But there were no fitment issues with my 76. If the tumbler wasn't having the "kickback" issue then I wouldn't even be upgrading to push button start. I am going to assume I just got a lemon key tumbler unit.

The one thing I didn't like, which is a minor, is they don't provide separate power wires for the brown accessory power wire and the orange switched power to fuse block. They only provide one wire, so I had to splice that to the brown and orange wires going to the fuse block. The consequence is that everything receives ignition power when the key is in the "accessory" position. But I can live with that.

branbell likes this.
  6. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My wife had her weekly doctor's visit and the doctor will induce next Thursday June 15 if my wife does not go into labor by then. So we'll be welcoming our daughter into the world no later than week from now! :)

brooksman9 and olstyle like this.
  7. 73bandit

73bandit New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Congrats I know you cant wait!

8. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    no doubt, my wife especially can't wait so she can stop being pregnant, lol.

I spent some time updating my to-do list, which is much smaller at this stage, thankfully. It will give me something to shoot for during the remainder of 2017. I know I will have my hands full with family but I will try my best to sneak in a few minutes here and there. Thank goodness for in-laws!

9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    olstyle likes this.
  10. 73bandit

73bandit New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Congrats on the baby girl!!