Aaron's 76 Type LT Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 1, 2008.

1. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Welcome to the Boards....

You just met your new addiction with some of the folks on here.... Got yourself a great project...

2. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    +1! Best of luck! :bowtie:

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I tore the rest of the interior out down to sheet metal on Saturday, which is my "Phase 1". Discovered rust-through in some spots of the floor board, which I expected. But I am not focused on any body panels right now, just mechanicals and electrical.

I would like to rebuild the steering column and move down to replace the power steering box/pump and steering components. Will be posting some more pics of the progress, although it won't be too exciting :)

4. noVette

noVette Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Bullhead City
    Nice bumpers, they're hard to find. My 77 bumper rubbers were messed up and try finding good ones. I decided to go with fiberglass. The front bumper and brackets were completely replaced. Looks good but no good as a bumper. The back bumper will retain the brackets and supports with just the aluminum being replaced.
    Good luck on your project. I need to take some pictures of mine so I can show it off. It is also an LT but I don't have the LT cover plate that goes across the back between the trunk lid and the bumper. Some day I'll find a nice one.
    My floor on the drivers side had some rust holes and I beleive it was from the inside out. Probably something spilled. I sanded the rust to get the loose stuff up and used some of that liquid stuff that turns the rust black and stops its progression. Then I used some good body filler to cover it up, sanded, and painted. Came out nice.
    I like the big bumper Camaro too. :)

5. deputyrob

deputyrob Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Canal Fulton Ohio
    solid 76! dig the wheels

6. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    LOL - thanks. They looked good back in the 1990s but are shot to hell now. Will be getting something similar down the road though. I like the 5 star look but those exact American Racing wheels are not made anymore.

7. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I suppose some obligatory "holy crap, where did my interior go?!" pics can be posted :) I used my old floor mats to cover the rust areas while I worked inside but you can see how rusty the floor is. Just one more thing that will need to be fixed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. noj akrog

noj akrog Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Richmond, Tx.
    heck, that's not too bad....floor pans will fix that right up
    btw, welcome aboard....where in Houston are ya?

9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, it's no big deal to have some new floor pans welded in. It's definitely rusted though in the low spots where moisture collected. Just means I will have more POR-15 for other areas.

I am up in The Woodlands area, so technically not in Houston but I work downtown, which is close enough ;)

10. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Well, nothing too "sexy" to share, but it is progress :crazy: I started cleaning the frame some and it's not too bad to clean up. Going to spend some time this long weekend on some more cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]