A/C Receiver / Dryer Help

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by 74z28TypeLT, Dec 2, 2017.

1. 74z28TypeLT

74z28TypeLT Veteran Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Woodbridge, VA
    Hello, I could use some advice in replacing my A/C receiver/dryer. VERY long story short, I restored my '74, A/C system was completely dead, sent everything to classic auto air, had it converted to R134A using as many original parts as possible. It worked okay, but compressor always leaked. Replaced seal myself this time with new style double-lipped seal and hoping for the best.

In the meantime, I need a new receiver/dryer, as the system was exposed to outside air. The current system has part number 1131047 on it (the desiccant inside was replaced by classic auto air). What I can I do to get this working again, can I replace the desiccant myself? IF so, where can I get it? Is there anything else I would need to replace? I'd really like to keep the original pieces intact. Is there a replacement receiver/dryer I can buy that will work and look correct? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    -Chris

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I believe that’s the decal number

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Anyway , those VIR things come apart for some reason . I’m assuming it to replace the disicant or the valve separately. I’m not that familiar with the VIR system , but they are all basically the same. My 73 has the POA system . But google VIR system rebuild kit or disicant replacement . I mean it must come apart for a reason .