'94 Firebird LT1 into '78 Camaro project back on

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sbca96, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

There is quite a lot of mystery and mis-info out there about the optispark and for
    LT1 engines. Here are the facts :

1992–93 LT1s used speed density, a batch-fire fuel injection and a chip ECM. The
    transmission was a TV cable operated 4L60. Sealed Opti

1994 LT1 got a mass airflow sensor and a sequential port injection and the PCM
    became programmable. The transmission was an electronic 4L60E. The F-bodys
    retained the sealed opti where as the iron headed B-body and D-bodys got a new
    vented opti.

1995 the F-bodys finally got the vented Opti. I have owned both and have only
    had ONE opti actually FAIL on me, it was a vented one. I put 150k miles on my
    1993 Camaro Z28 never saw the check engine light come on. Great car, I really
    wish I had not sold it.

1996 had the introduction of OBDII which basically adds more things to go wrong
    or adapt to make work in an earlier car, no real advantages. Last year in B-body.

1997 was the last year of the LT1 in the F-bodys.

1992 LT1 in the Y-body was 300 hp and 330 lb·ft
    1993–95 F-bodies were rated at 275 horsepower and 325 lb·ft
    1996–97 cars were rated at 285 horsepower and 335 lb·ft
    1996–97 WS6 and SS F-bodies were rated at 305 hp.
    1994–96 B and D-body version was rated at 260 horsepower and 330 lb·ft.

I wouldnt avoid a non-vented if you find a low miles good deal on one. There are aftermarket
    vented ones available for the 1992-1994 LT1s if yours actually DOES fail.;)

Caprice, Impala SS and Roadmasters never got the non vented, the TSB for water failure was
    for the smog pump, and they can be dealer deleted with a sticker added for smog. We had a
    water pump failure on the 1994 LT1 in the Camaro already, and knock on wood, the opti lived.

Tom

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. perfectroller89

perfectroller89 Member

Mine died from everything until I added venting. Rainy day dead puddle dead rev to high burning out died. Water pump blew died. Until I installed the venting I killed one about every 3 months

3. perfectroller89

perfectroller89 Member

I was under the impression that the roadsters and caprice had the same timing cover as s the later model camaro/firebird but used the old o ptispark because of the cam

4. formula73

formula73 New Member

I replaced the one in my brother's 93 with one of the MSDs. No problems to report...of course, after we replaced it we realized it was the coil and the original Opti was still good.

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Perhaps its climate, but mine went for years, and I used to LOVE splashing thru
    puddles in that car! HA! Not sure what to tell you, my experience was good.

Nope, 94 the Iron headed LT1s got the vented Opti, the Aluminum ones had to
    wait another year. It is worth mentioning that the Iron heads actually flow a
    wee bit better than their Aluminum counterparts, though they are rated lower
    HP with the cam designed for low end grunt to get that heavy car moving. The
    Iron LT1's respond a tad better to forced air, its a trade off though.

I did the same thing. It was a bad coil, not a bad opti. This was back when it
    was ONLY offered at the Dealer, so I chunked out $600 dollars for that mistake.

Tom

6. perfectroller89

perfectroller89 Member

Honestly if ur just looking for venting u can buy a 94 optispark then install a mad cap unlike the stock model both vents for the opti are on the msd cap

The stock one has one on the cap one on the body

The cap is only like 100 from what I read the msd one has about as good a sensor as the cheap ebay ones not the mitsobiche one that came stock

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

The opti is really not worth discussing, there are solutions when and IF yours has
    an unfortunate death. I wouldnt really base my yay or nay on vented or not. The
    important thing is a solid engine with tolerable miles.

Most of the time a "bad" opti turns out to be something else anyway. ANY year
    of the LT1 is a potent powerplant to install and will put a smile on your face. Just
    look for one coupled to a good trans and you are golden. People wreck these cars
    all the time .. thats a great source of parts. I would have put the whole interior
    into the car if my wife wasnt calling the shots. 1970's era seats SUCK.

Tom

8. formula73

formula73 New Member

Ain't that the truth? I put 95 Camaro seats into my 73 because they RECLINE. They're not as pretty as the originals but that doesn't bother me.

9. formula73

formula73 New Member

Any updates? Ever get the AC together? I managed to finagle myself a 95 LT1 with only about 100k on it with some head work/lt4 hotcam/1.6 rockers/springs/pushrods/throttle body stuff for 750. Now, I just need a 95 donor with a trans and all the rest of this stuff and I can do just about all of it.

And I hope it runs well once I finally get it all fired up.

Bonus: I can buy one with a bad engine purely for parts-super cheap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The previous owner went LS.

10. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

What was the application for your brake switch? Regards. . .