9100 Original Mile 73 Z - Do You Know This Car?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by MY73Z, Feb 27, 2014.

1. 1971zed

1971zed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Retired in Ottawa Canada
    Not trying to be difficult but the finish on those wheels was never shiny.
    GM used a flattening agent along with a pebble finish.

Here are some photos of original wheels.
    My 73 looked like these.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=142106&page=2

scroll down to the bottom of page to look at post #142114

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Seat belts ain't quite right either. And don't put the valve covers back on the way they were in the photobucket Picts . Flags on to right ( passenger ) and oil fill on the left. ( drivers ) .

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  3. MY73Z

MY73Z New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I put the valve covers back correctly after I realized had them swapped. I don't know what your refering to on the seat belt (have never been removed from floor). I have many more pic's to post tommorrow (close ups of wheels, front, back, dates, white grease pen marks under overspray on back sides. I don't believe the trim rings were ever off the rims. I'll get the other pic's up tommorrow. I have disliked the tailpipes since I bought the car, being a welded stainless system, trying to find stainless t-pipes that will fit to the mufflers without having to replace the whole system.
    Thanks Guys for your input!

4. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    Great color. I had a 74Z that color with just a bit more flake added when repainted. Brought it out.

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    The 73 seatbelt in front ( female ) flops the buckle on top of the seat not straight up like yours. If you look at the 73 sales brochure you can the buckle laying on the seat top [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  6. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am terribly jealous! Nice car, great find. Pull the carpet and I am sure you will find a build sheet.

7. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Klein Texas
    That's a seriously nice car.

I learned something. I thought Corvettes were the only car with passenger side speedometer cables.

8. MY73Z

MY73Z New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thank You all for comments & compliments. I have over two hundred more detailed pictures to get loaded on photo bucket. Hopefully next week. No build sheet under carpet, The only place I haven't looked is behind the door panels (I really don't want to remove them)

9. MY73Z

MY73Z New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
  10. 73Z28

73Z28 Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Valley of the Sun, AZ
    This car is now listed on eBay.

Regarding the appearance of the front seat belt female end....perhaps somehow the actual belt portion is just not 'pulled out' of the vinyl sleeve, leaving the hard plastic buckle up against the sleeve. That would certainly not allow the buckle to 'flop' as shown in other pictures.

And regarding the shiny appearance of the wheels....I, too, have never seen any with that much sheen from the factory. The seller states in the eBay ad that the story that came with the car was that the original owner was not fond of the original tires and wheels so he "swapped the original wheels and tires for a "better looking" set, saving the originals". Perhaps the original owner did not like the flat, textured appearance of the wheels and in an attempt to make them "better looking" shot some clear coat over the front side of them. The many detailed pictures of the wheels show no other sign of being repainted.