91 camaro wont sart by the key or jumping the starter????

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by sativabassist, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Penskr2

Penskr2 Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i have ran into that problem before, Do you have a auto parts store you can test your electrical components ? Its very possiable it is sparking erraticly and not consistant. The problem i found was my ignition control module. they periodically go out just like that.. if you got another one just layin around, its worth a try they average $35 or so... or possiably weak coil.. it can be tested just with ohm meter and a chilton manual for the specs...

Hope this helps... just my .02

2. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    yea it turns over when i jump the starter but not from the key but it still wont start when i jump the starter from the s wire and the vats is not the problem its like it should be i will check the ignition module and starter enable relay and hope that it is one of them do you think the ecm could be the problem when everything else is working the only problem is the starter wont engage from the key ??

3. Penskr2

Penskr2 Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Bakersfield, Ca
    :crazy: neutral safety switch ?

try jumping the wires..

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    My son's 3rd gen F'bird acted like the same way.... We even swpped steering columns to try to fix it. :mad: :mad:

The car had been so badly butchered in the process of a previous owner converting a fuel injected 4-cyl to a 350 V8 that I had nothing to work from.

We ended up running some 10 gauge wire from the battery and another piece to the solenoid so it could use a push-button start under the dash.
    Then he sold it... cheap.

I wish you luck!

5. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    yea i was going to do that (install the push button start) but it wont start even when i jump the starter with the key in the on postion it turn over when i jump the starter but it still wont start so confused on how this happen ran one hour didnt run the next ?? what would cause it not to start even when the key is on and i jump the starter ?

6. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    When you jump the starter, you are bypassing the security system so even though the starter engages, the security system won't let it start. My bet is with Penskr2 on the neutral safety switch. Try wiggling the shifter around and see if anything changes.

7. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    ok whats it mean if the secruity lights not coming on but the bulbs good and there is power to the system??

8. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Not saying this is your problem But
    I had a friend who had 2 shops try and fix his none starting problem
    Like already said
    I pushed the shifter into the park position and held it there,it started.

9. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Your car has a sensor on the gas pedal. They are known for going bad and leaving you dead in the water. I don't know what it's called, bt have heard of that happening before.

Let me know how you make out.

GOOD LUCK!!

10. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    My Bonneville died twice with the same symptoms and it turned out to be the ignition switch. Fortunately, it was covered by the warranty so I don't know how they diagnosed it but it's another thought.