91 camaro wont sart by the key or jumping the starter????

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by sativabassist, Dec 1, 2009.

1. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    hello iam in need of help. My 91 Z28 5.0 tuned port was fine yesterday drove it to a few places no prob got home sat for about an hour went back out and the starter wont engage from the key. so i try jumping the starter with the key on the engine turns over but still it wont start. so i get my tester out and i have spark fuel is getting there everything seems to be fine but when i turn the key everything is as it should be but it wont engae the starter so please help me. thank you in advance for any help.

2. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Your battery might just be gone.... it can really happen fast and you may not think its the battery but I would try pulling the battery from another one of your cars and seeing if thats it, only takes 10 minutes to swap em and if a fully charged battery doesnt start it I would then diagnose from there. Wiring problems don't just happen over night

3. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    could it be a relay because i checked all the fuses all the linkables are good securitys fine its not that so and it wont workk in park or nuetral so its not the safety switch i dont think it just happened out of no where ?????

4. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    just put brand new starter and batt. in today and still same prob??

5. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Try a different battery man, if you were driving it yesterday and it was fine. When you turn the key to the ON position, (without engaging the starter) do you have power in the car? Do the headlights work?

If so, power is getting to your starter because the solenoid is sending power into your car. Your battery may be toasted though, which may not be giving enough power to the starter to actually try to turn over your car.... its happened to me before.

6. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Wait you just put in a new starter and battery today?

7. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    yea and i can jump the starter from the s wire so its hot everywhere yea just today new starter and batt and everythings got power but when i turn on the key everything comes on just wont engage the starter from the ignition and i replaced it today as well so im confused

8. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Hmm well im confused too then, well I tried my best man, good luck with everything, im sure someone else on here will definitely have good suggestions

9. sativabassist

sativabassist New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    St.Louis,MO
    hey thanks anyway bro im gonna replace the starter enable relay tomorrow and see if that works later

10. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Sativa, the end of your post says the starter won't engage, but earlier you said it turns over but won't start. The 1991's had that VATS ( Vehicle Anti-Theft System ) and I've had to replace my module twice, but if that's the issue, it won't engage the starter, and I believe the security light on the dash will flash to let you know something is up. Other than that, you might check the ignition module ( inside the distributor ). Also, sometimes these cars will (and sometimes they won't) flash codes up on the dash via blinking the Check Engine light. When you first turn the key it'll flash briefly, then it should go away. If it continues to flash, it'll be like a long, short short, which would indicate a code 12 ( one long - 2 shorts ) and you can look up the trouble code. -- Also, I had an issue with my computer one time that the car would just die, and when you'd try and crank it, it would crank the starter, but never start. then at some point like 10 minutes later, it would start and run like normal again. - Ummm..., I'm not sure I would recommend it, but the way I found the computer problem was suggested by an "Old-Timer" at the GM Service department who said to try a few light taps on the computer CPU (silver box under the passenger dash) and if it starts after that, it could be a loose solder or connection on the board. -- Good Luck !!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009