9 inch Ford users

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Blown Camaro, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

After tearing up my nodular Ford 3rd member, I decided to do a street setup and a race setup. The problem is I have 31 spline Moser axles and that is very borderline for my blown SBC. They look great for now so what I did is order a Speedway nodular housing with a limited slip and 3.50 gears for the STREET ONLY. It is all new parts with the Daytona pinion support.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-F...ash=item3cf848d278:g:3f8AAOSwLjxaXShD&vxp=mtr

Then for the track I think I want to do a bolt through aluminum center section with 4.11 gears and a spool and 35 spline axles with 5/8 studs. I run Alumastar 2.0 wheels so they will take the big stud already. It is not a big deal swapping these parts out the night before a race.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys? It is a 90% street car but when I run it, I run it HARD.

Any recommendations on a 3rd member? Please don't say Mark Williams as that is WAY out of my budget.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

35 spline is a waste of money for you with all the stuff you break :p
    Do it right, do it once, get the 40's.

Nothing wrong with Strange & Moser.
    My Camaro runs 8.50's at 3200 pounds with a Moser-Strange set up I mixed & matched because M/W's was taking too long.
    You don't have to run lightened, gun drilled professional models like we run in P/M's & T/S type cars.
    The basic 40 spline is the same or close to the same cost as 35's when I tried to convince my crew chief to throw away his 12 bolt and go 9 inch!!!

Just so you know, we went back to a steel center section. The aluminum wore out too fast with the 1.00's 60'.
    Reliability was more important than a few pounds savings!!!

Good luck with that monster!!!!

Blown Camaro likes this.
  3. Blown Camaro

Ok here is the plan. QUIT BEATING ON THIS CAR AND GET THE BIG BLOCK DUSTER finished. It has a Dana 60 with 35 spline axles.

Now...

Street rear for the Camaro I bought a nodular 31 spline 3rd member from Speedway with a gear limited slip in 3.50 ratio and Daytona support so I can run the Interstate and enjoy the car before it gets too hot in Florida to do so!

If I race the car again, then I do another set of axles and Moser/Strange carrier. That way race setup gets NO STREET MILES on it, and I don't have to fight a spool on the street anymore (10 years of that!)

Make sense to anyone?

I think this way if I break it at the track I can just swap the street stuff back in and continue to my cruisins/car shows whatever while I wait for race parts.

4. mrdragster1970

Who cares, it's your car, your dough!!!
    Have fun, you earned it!!!

How much does the mopar need to be race ready??

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Get everything in the same spline, it makes life easier. Sell off what is still good to offset the cash outlay. As stated, 40 spline won't break. I have had good luck with 35 spline, but your experience may vary. I'm going to do a steel center on mine next, currently have a 35 spline nodular 4.88 spool that is coming out. I'm going to have to try a few different ratios with the combo I'm building so I'm buying 2 center sections. I have no idea what this car is going to want to get my wheel speed and everything else where I want it. Then I'm going to figure out a radial setup, so I can have 2 base setups I can swap out depending on where/what I'm going to run.

6. mrdragster1970

The '70 Camaro is 35 spline for that exact reason.
    A lot of trial and error, spray some events, not spray others, since everyone else had 35 back in those days,
    it was much easier to borrow different gears.
    The '72 Camaro & Lumina are 40 spline because of the brute HP, big tires and needed strength.

7. rustorbust

rustorbust Veteran Member

I have 35 splines in my car and I beat the poo out of it after breaking the nodular case. I also went to a through bolt aluminum case and a 10 bolt pinion support and have never had a problem.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  8. Blown Camaro

Which bolt through case are you running? At what power level did you break the nodular case and did it break at the caps?

9. LeKid

LeKid Veteran Member

I have 35 splines in mine right now, and if I had to do it again, I would go 40 spline. Like it was said before, do it once right! 35 splines is more than enough for you ... NOW, but what about the future??? When I bought the 35-splines setup, it was overkill for me, now 35-splines is just okay. Funny how that happens, lol!!

I would make sure that you have your street and race setup the same spline so the only thin that you would need to change between both is the center section. I run a Strange Aluminum regular (no bolt-through) for the 1/4 with 3.70 gears and I have an 1/8 mile center section that is a Yukon Bolt-through with 4.57. Very easy to switch between them (even though I have not use the 1/4 mile one for over 3 years!!).

10. rustorbust

rustorbust Veteran Member

I have a Yukon case in it now. It was making some where around 800-900 leaving when it broke. The caps didn't break, it actually spit the pinion out the front. Pulled big chunks of the cast iron case out with the bolts.