81z tips for "painless" rewire kit

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Angie, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Here is the LED flasher we offer: http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/80230

That is only if the front signals/rear taillights are switching to LED. I would speak with the company you source your lights from and see what they have to say. We get A LOT of calls on the tech line if people who install LED lights and then no longer have turn signals/hazards, and it's due to running an original mechanical flasher relay. LED's have a lot less load, and nowhere near enough to trip the mechanical flasher in most cases. The LED flasher provides an extra ground and has a board inside that triggers the flashing of the signals & hazards.

2. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    Well depending on the amperage draw of the fan(s) running a single relay to act as a 100% on/off for the fan is going to require a stout relay. Not to mention the charging system (voltage regulator) wont like that constant cycling on/off full fan speed. It is a simple setup using one relay and while it may be adequate for most aftermarket fans, I'd be leary of using only one relay for oem factory fans.

At the very least consider re-wiring it in a more sanitary way for dual speed instead which I presume the PO had done given you have 3 relays running two fans-I'd stick with that setup and just clean it up. You can still run a ground sourced override on the high side relay trigger too with what you've got.

3. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
  4. Angie

Angie New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Vancouver, bc
    Squeaky, Thanks for that link and info. will be looking into those for sure on all 3 of our projects that are getting the LED lights.

Junkyard, The fan system that is in the car is something PO built and has/had wired up. if I understand your explanation, you say that 1 relay then opens the next pair of relays? if so,this makes sense of why i get sporadic fan/no fans working they is some sort of wiring bug that needs to be replaced. (Angie pondering restoring the mechanical fan and shroud) will see what direction this goes in the coming month.

ZSTAR, thanks for the link.... after much research we found that the after market style lights are actually illegal in are province to run as regular lights. So now what is on the plate will be either a set of LED headlights or a set of add on halo rings and keeping the sealed beams in the place. anyone have any links to where to get a set of the outer rings that work for the 81? She is in love with that look.

Thanks guys!!

5. junkyardZ28find

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    Without seeing/knowing how the PO wired the fans there is no way to know what the problem is. I would suggest wiring the relays and fans on a test bench and use an LT1/LS1 diagram to run them-make sure the fans work properly as a 2-speed setup. Painless and others simply offer an outdated single relay triggering “a fan”. Nobody offers kits for factory style dual speed fan assemblies in an “update” chassis wiring kit-so I would not suggest using their fan trigger-much better ways to power fan(s) exist.

6. Angie

Angie New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Vancouver, bc
    Started the process yesterday, largest pain in the ass is the lack of room beside the power booster at the fire wall. not to mention the tight area under the dash... (no pain no gain) lol

here are 3 pics of the wiring for the fans alone... cheers water temp.JPG water sending.JPG relays.JPG

7. junkyardZ28find

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    Ugh-those are 3rd gen fbody fans-those are terrible for CFM flow....I’d strongly suggest at least going with 4th LT1/LS1 fans instead.

8. Angie

Angie New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Vancouver, bc
    Gotcha, will see what happens here if decide to keep electric or not. She still might convert back to fan off the water pump and original shroud... but will need to clean up that mess for sure either way. the old timer she bought the car from did all kinds of hacked stuff to it over the years. (she is 3rd owner and its in great shape) so the wire harness will be a peace of mind to know Angie will be safe driving it. as the pics show... wires all over hell in it.