'81 Z28 Front trans/clutch linkage

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by MP81, Jun 5, 2017.

1. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Does anyone have any pictures of the assembled reverse/trans/clutch/whatever-else linkages that have to be disconnected on the lower left of the engine bay when installing headers? I think I have it pretty close, but I want to make sure everything is right - mainly where the long spring goes. I know where it hooks into on the frame rail, but cannot recall where it attached on the bracket/clutch/trans side (I should've paid more attention, but we had a bit of a time crunch getting that left side header in).

Thanks!

2. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    should be a hole on the outside edge of the clutch fork just to drivers side of clutch rod. Sorry, don't have a pic.

3. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Right by the dimple the adjustment rod presses into?

4. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
  5. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Sweet, that shouldn't be too bad then.

I have a couple washers on the ground from that area - does one of them go in between the cotter pin and the bracket that the reverse linkage attaches to (that goes up to the column)?

6. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    I believe so. I actually took my reverse lockout rod and strapped it down so I can start the car without having it in reverse. Hated that function. While it might not be the safest thing, that's just how I prefer it.

7. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    I don't blame you - it's kind of obnoxious. I may eventually do that once I'm sick enough of it.

8. MP81

MP81 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Found the hole on the clutch fork to mount it to - and then found the spring runs right into the primary if I try clipping it to the original hole.

Seems like all the search results I'm seeing pretty much just have it running wherever similar tension can be found?