'81 Z28 Code Red

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by riderwestslope, Mar 11, 2014.

1. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    Well, I am finally going to break down an start a build thread. I have been poking around here alot and asking questions for several months now and have found that everyone on here is great, and this is an awesome source of information.

That said, I picked up a second gen Camaro last summer. It is the second one I've built/owned after building and selling a string of later model F-bodies over the years, and most recently a Jeep. I guess you could say things have come full circle. After the sale of my prior venture, I bought this fairly clean car locally off Craigslist and have been squirrelling parts and pieces away since, and getting the engine build well on its' way. My goal is to build a street car that can hold its' own in the Colorado corners, with a couple trips to the local strip each summer on street night. However, I still want to be able to cross the state comfortably. I want this car to be the one I hang onto!

Thus far I have built a 385 ci small block using a balanced Scat rotating assembly, Probe Pistons and Edelbrock RPM heads yielding about 10.3:1 compression. I have a Comp Cams 276HR roller cam and 1.5 roller rockers. Additionally, I've stashed a set of full length 1 5/8"coated Hedmans, an Edelbrok RPM intake and a Fast EZ EFI system. I have a Pypes 2.5" X pipe exhaust with some Magnaflows sitting in the garage as well. Hopefully it will yield enough in the motivation department.

I picked up a 700R4 with the usual go fast parts and a 2,400 rpm B&M Holeshot locking convertor. I've picked up a Hotchkis TVS suspension and a CPP C5 front brake kit. I've done some bartering and haggling and come up with a rear disc brake set up off a 2000 SS Camaro, some 3:42 gears and an Eaton posi.

Eventually, the body will be coated in red w/ some white stripes, hence the name. I've got a 2" Goodmark cowl hood and hope to put in some later model handles when the time comes.

Time has been limited lately as much of my free "garage time" has been taken up helping my dad assemble a '41 Chevy half ton street rod, in addition to raising a family, but I think I have a good basis. I hope to do all of the work start to finish myself, in the garage, but enough of the rambling I suppose. I am open to any and all suggestions. Here's a picture of the starting point with the addition of the BM wheels and Nitto tires I put on it. I'll add more as I go along. As it sits the car is almost completely unmolested (don't freak out purists) and very original under the hood, for now. If anyone is looking for some of these oddball parts I'll part with them when the time comes.

[​IMG]

Just for kicks, here is the '79 Berlinetta I put together just after high school. You can like it or hate it... but it was loud, fast, and a whole lot of fun. I drug this one home on the end of a rope after paying the $500 price tag. I did it all myself with help from friends.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Should be a awesome Camaro when you get done! That was a cool high school ride for sure!

3. riderwestslope

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    I appreciate the compliment!

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Good Luck w/assembly - sounds like you have plenty of experience already. I like the Red plan.

5. riderwestslope

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    I agree, red is a good plan. I used to work in the auto industry several years ago and did a little bit of everything. It's going to be fun, but I am admittedly having to knock some of the rust off so to speak in order to get back up to speed and am having to get creative to get it done on budget, but it should be a rewarding challenge in the end.

6. riderwestslope

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    I had a little time finally to get out in the garage and get the engine more or less buttoned up. I'll hopefully be able to work towards getting it installed in the near future. Hope it all works when it's time to hit the go button. I tried to be extra meticulous putting this thing together and to get it right the first time, as well as to pick the right parts and pieces.

Can anyone tell me if the oil filter adaptor from a late 70's/early 80's style block can bolt straight into this '95 one piece rear main block?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An earlier in progress pic:

[​IMG]

Assembling pistons at the kitchen table:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    Nice work. Keep it going.

8. zhedding

zhedding Veteran Member

May 17, 2013
    decatur, illinois
    looks like a nice start.

9. riderwestslope

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    I was able to run down a few more parts for the Camaro, provided by two of the members on this site. Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

10. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Mobile, AL.
    Looks like that car is in pretty nice shape and sounds like you're gonna be droppin a bullet in that engine bay......nice. Keep posting your progress with pics!!