81 Camaro tbi engine swap

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by JF81Z28, Nov 6, 2017.

  1. JF81Z28

    JF81Z28 Member

    Nov 6, 2017
    I have an 81 z28 that unfortunately has a blown motor. Bottom end gone block cracked. I have a 92 350 throttle body injection motor to swap into it. I am aware I will need an intake for my carb to fit this motor, however I am wondering if the distributor from my 81 motor will work with a TBI motor, as the electrical connections on the 92 distributor is different then the 81 connections. As I said I will be swapping it over to use my edelbrock carb as I know the throttle body would require a computer meant for running that motor, would the distributor from the 92 motor be the same thing need a computer to run correctly? Any input on this swap would be appreciated,
  2. SRGN

    SRGN Veteran Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    92 engine should be roller cam. Need to pull intake to check. You may have to swap the distributor gear so you don't eat the cam.
  3. JF81Z28

    JF81Z28 Member

    Nov 6, 2017

    Thanks Ill check that out!
  4. Ihada70Z28B4

    Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

    Oct 4, 2002
    If you have the whole TBI vehicle you could keep the EFI which is nice. You already have an ses light and 02 sensor in your 81 already if it had a CCC setup from the factory..
  5. hoppin5478

    hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    From what I recall all the 305/350 blocks were machined for a roller cam from 88 and up but a lot of the trucks got non roller cams. I believe the trucks started getting roller cams when they switched over to vortec heads but not positive on that. Most of the roller 350's I've seen were in TPI Camaro's and Vette's. As suggested you'll probably have to pull the intake to verify. You may even want to verify its a 350, tons of the tbi 305's were produced as well but Im not sure what year they stopped production. I believe the roller 350 tbi was also available in the Caprices as well. If you have all the components fuel injection is a nice upgrade.
  6. JF81Z28

    JF81Z28 Member

    Nov 6, 2017
    I only have the motor. it was out of a 92 Silverado. I'll look for casting marks and verify if its a 350
  7. Rayzorz

    Rayzorz New Member

    Mar 28, 2017
    Calgary Alberta
    The carb distributor will work in the newer block. Like the others already said, check for the possible roller cam. You may want to do a cam swap since the truck cam is wimpy.

    As for the intake, edelbrock has a few carb intakes for the 88 and later cylinder heads as the angle of the inner bolts changed from 90 to 72ish degrees. You could change the heads to the older style or vortec if you would like more intake manifold options and better flow.

    Check the torque converter bolt pattern on the flexplate from the 92 block to make sure the torque converter will bolt up before swinging her into the engine bay. and you'll probably need a different starter if you didn't get one with the engine.

    Hope it helps,
    JF81Z28 likes this.
  8. budro6968

    budro6968 Veteran Member

    Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    The fuel pump boss may not be fully machined for a mechanical pump. My 92 350 GMC Van does not have a push rod opening.
  9. BonzoHansen

    BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

    a true 81 hei is probably a 7 pin ccc distributor. unless its a Canadian car or someone swapped it out for a standard 4 pin vacuum advance hei. so you might need an hei too.
  10. JF81Z28

    JF81Z28 Member

    Nov 6, 2017

Share This Page