80 Z28 Restoration. Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by GBar80Z, Aug 8, 2017.

1. GBar80Z

GBar80Z New Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Ready to start working on my 80 Z28 that I bought back in 1986. The engine needed overhauled when I parked it in 91. Then I ran it and drove it to another location in 2004 and where it sat until about a month ago. It sat inside from about 91 to 2004. As you can imagine the brakes are gone and the engine runs somewhat. I drove it on to the trailer to haul where I currently live about a month ago. Obviously brakes are important and the engine and tranny will most likely need a little attention to get it drivable. I guess I'd like to get it so I could drive it a little to see just how bad things have gotten. Just looking for advice to see if it were any of you guy's car, where would you start, first step, 2nd step and so on? I do plan for a full restoration at some point but would just like to drive it a little. Would you start with a complete brake overhaul 1st then tackle the engine?
    The first pic was right before I parked it, around 1991 and the rest are from about a month or two ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    If it were mine I would drain and replace all the fluids to include the old gas. Do a brake job so when you do want to test things you don't have to worry about whether it will stop. Small jobs that are easier will give you a since of accomplishment and motivate you to continue, without being overwelmed by tearing major components like engine and trans out. Once they're all torn apart them seam to stay that way. That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck looks like a nice ride.

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I'd put in new oil & filter an check out the gas tank like steins said above, if any water got inside of it it could be rusted on the inside. Be sure to put on a temp fuel filter something you see into this way you can tell if your pumping rust flakes or crap in the tank. Clean the spark plugs. I wouldn't go out an buy a bunch of new shit right now, let's see if it'll run first. Don't be surprised if the transmission is bad or going bad, it's an auto right? Any auto trans that sits that long might have problems, seals & o-rings drying up.
    Most important thing is to make it driveable for now.
    1. Get it to where it will idle & not die.
    2. Pull all the tires off an check the breaks
    3. Take it for a drive down the street, don't go to far.

4. GBar80Z

GBar80Z New Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Thanks a lot. I am planning to do it in stages. I just needed to know if my first step was the right step or direction and that I wasn't getting a head of myself in fear of damaging something further or making things worse.

5. GBar80Z

GBar80Z New Member

Jun 23, 2017