80 camaro door latch problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JD Z, Aug 23, 2017.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

I think it is the latch. The door is level and has no wiggle...so the hinges are good and tight (bushings look good). The door takes a very strong push to get it to close latched. It closes half latched. Are there some tweaks to make? Ideas from your experience with cars of the age?

2. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Member

Oct 4, 2016
    spray some grease or WD-40 into the latch mechanism and work it thru well...might help. I replaced my latches and was surprised at how much corrosion there was on the inside and backside of the latch.

JD Z likes this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    On mine if the window is up all the way doors are harder to close. Might adjust the striker/post in the door jam. Also could be the door latch inside the door. Took mine out & soaked it in a pan of gas. Then oiled it with 3M oil, worked a little better but I should of replaced it. There not cheap, around 50.00 ea. or more.

JD Z likes this.
  4. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Thanks guys. The striker...just a newbie here, but that thing looks like it's fixed in place. Apparently if I loosen it up it can move a little bit and tighten back down? That likely would be just enough to get the door to close easily. I'll grease/oil the latch to help as well then.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

That is what that vent is for.It gives you access to it,

JD Z likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The striker threads into a caged nut. No need to do anything through the vent.

A Torx socket (50?) is the proper tool to use to loosen and tighten the striker but I've used a vise grips too.

JD Z likes this.
  7. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

That did the trick guys. Thank you. The striker loosened and was adjusted easily. It shuts nice now. Thanks!

Robert M Mrozek likes this.