79camaro2001 camaro project!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 79camaro2001, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Ls1smlblck

Ls1smlblck Veteran Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Nice progress, looking great.

2. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA

Didn't know there was one.

I will check it out and might show up.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, It isn't pretty right now, but I figured get it going and worry about paint and look later!

3. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2003
    ft. stockton,tx,usa
    that's my moto,, function before form!!

hey cody,, i may have a horn for ya. mine is a strip only car now. it's yours if you want it. only XX miles south of odessa. so if your buddys don't come through........
    andy

4. 79camaro2001

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA

Dude, I can't believe I missed your post! LOL

I found one in the bottom of a crate I got in the garage, which turned out to be the original horn for it! LOL

I've done alot in the past 2 weeks, but no pictures as I pretty much had to go back in steps on work I had done and just didn't have time to take pics in the short amount of time I had to work.

But non the less it is running alot better and not running rich. It chirps the tires when I shift so I need to readjust the brakes now!

5. Redlightning

Redlightning Member

Sep 27, 2007
    TN
    Nice work! What,s the story with the 55/56 ford?

6. 79camaro2001

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    55 ford, it's my father's.

Right now we are still waiting on the rearend to get back to us. The chunk is getting the once over as we decided to keep the 3.55 gears for cruising speed. We had to shorten it and when it gets back we will be ordering new shafts and drum kits. Then we got to hang it all.

After that I think we are going to rebuild the front suspension and add disc to the front. To over come the steering box behind the motor we are going to run the over the wheel headers and have side pipes on it. Planning on a hopped up 351W to go in it with a t-5 tranny we got sitting in the garage right now. Once it's drivable I am sure he will get the body painted and make the hood a flip over unit. Interior stock except bucket seats in front and back with a nice stereo system.

But first thing first we need to get the suspension finish and since the rearend is getting done for free we can't complain.

7. Redlightning

Redlightning Member

Sep 27, 2007
    TN
    The car I bought was when I was 14 or 15(I,m 43 now) with yard mowing money and hay hauling was a 1956 4 door ford car.
    It,s a long story but I got it back.When I got my 80 camaro the plan was to use the subframe,engine,etc for the 56 but the car was too nice once I saw it so I got it running,switch to a 4 speed and have been driving it.

8. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2003
    ft. stockton,tx,usa
    no problem cody. been up there once or twice a month,, here and there,, and could have droped it off to you. no problem though. glad you found it.

also,, got another parts car if you need some odds and ends. no fenders, hood, eng, trans, driveshaft. it's 75-77 model. i want the rear end and lower mounts for the rear and leaf spring mounts. the rest can go. body has some bad rust in the rear. but some good parts left. about 1/2 of the interior still in tact. dash is gone. still has the rear and side glass. some of this stuff will transfer to yours. was sitting in a lot for years,, so some of the normal weather'd stuff is just that.
    andy

9. 79camaro2001

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA

So far I been lucky in the body department. I had a little rust in the passenger side of the floorboard, also alittle rust on the driver side by the parking brake cable where it goes out but nothing rusted through.

I know some folks here been looking for some sheetmetal and if you can cut it I am sure they will pay you back for material and shipping if it's solid!

10. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2003
    ft. stockton,tx,usa
    i'll see if i can snap a few pics today and p.m. to you tonight. maybe there's something they can use if they see it in the pics. i'd go really really cheap if they'd haul it off too!! lol. did i say cheap?? lol. no title. was only a parts car in my eyes.

would be hard to load without the rear end though. i've got a cable lift on my work truck that would hold up the rear end,, then back a trailer under the front. would have to tie it to a tree or something to unload it!! lol. the rear is still in it now. rolls with air in the tires. no steering wheel,, only vice grips. could pull the rear after it was loaded on a trailer. have air tools to speed that up a bit.
    andy