79camaro2001 camaro project!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 79camaro2001, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    I started this project when i was 15 yrs old. I bought it with money i earned cutting grass. When i first got it, it had surface rust, but the interior was complet and the body was solid. No motor but it did have a th400 tranny with it and a 10 bolt 8.5 with 4:10 posi rearend. I got it for $500.

this is a pic of it after we had stripped it and painted it with red oxide primer,
    [​IMG]

then we started on the front end as our first major project!
    here starting point,
    [​IMG]

and this is what we finished with after putting all the new PST parts in it,
    [​IMG]

Then i started cleaning up the underside of the camaro and took the rearend out from under it and cleaned it up, refurbished it with new seals and bushing and bearings.
    No before pics,
    here it is after afew yrs,
    [​IMG]

then i built the motor, I had the machine work sourced out but i built the bottom end myself since i had already built afew motors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the motor in the car, I put a th400 behind it. Right now it got the stoc convertor, but after one night of racing i am going to swap it out for a higher stall.

I had to pull the heads back off to get them machined for screw in studs and guide plates for the harland sharp rocker, since they are not self align.

[​IMG]

2. 79camaro2001

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    Then i got some more parts,
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of my valve cover adaptors, I had to notch them to clear the rollers.
    [​IMG]

more parts, and also mock up pieces,
    [​IMG]

Looking good huh!
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of it right when i first broke it in!
    [​IMG]

I changed the headers, don't worry, they was used tobreak in the cam, and they were for trucks not camaro.

See!

[​IMG]

here is it running,
    [​IMG]

I also had subframe connectors put on, and here is a pic of my modified tank,
    [​IMG]

Here is how it sits today, i got the rims powder coated, I got the fuel lines routed, driveshaft loop installed, battery in trunk, guages setup for track days, Now i am doing all of the little stuff that needs to be done to be legal at the track!
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to all of my Pictures of the camaro, I am now 25 yrs old and college has really slowed me down on the progress, but i nick pick every chance i get!
    http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/7235

Enjoy

3. jdove

jdove Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Chattanooga,TN
    Way to keep pluggin away dude. Car is lookin good...

4. Nice work, very thorough!

5. Camarocore

Camarocore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 18, 2006
    NY
    nice work/
    i dont know what about you guys but i love the 3gen wheels on 2gen camaros.:bowtie:

6. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

7. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

She sound sWeeeTTttt!!!

Way to go Cody!!! Keep up the good work!!

8. bbc nova

bbc nova Veteran Member

Apr 18, 2007
    MN
    What kind of power steering pump bracket are you using?

9. 79camaro2001

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA

The pump is just bolted on with 2 bolts, i still need to get the back bracket made up, I was going to take a piece of cardboard and cut it to the shape it needs to be then i was going to cut a piece of metal out and bend it to make it work. Hopefully that is one of the thing i get done in 2 weeks from now.

10. 79camaro2001

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    thanks for all of the good comments!

Some days i wish i was done with it, other days i want to take it apart again and repaint everything. Somedays i want to slap it together and don't give a crap about how it looks.

But i never really thought about selling it.