79 Z28 & 69 SS396

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by HawkX66, Sep 20, 2017.

1. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    I'm the new guy over here, but I've been around quite a while. My Z isn't exactly a project anymore and my 69 is basically at the paint stage. I've had it in primer for about a year since I finished my rotisserie work and got it back on the road. I kind of like 1st gens in primer anyway...
    Here's my 79. We've had it since we bought it while I was home on leave in '93.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the 69. SS396 X66 L34

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Good looking pair of cars. Welcome to the site.

3. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
  4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Welcome. Big block fan, obviously! From MI currently residing in MA?

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome aboard. Nice cars

6. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice cars and welcome to the site, post more pics of both.

7. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    Thanks guys. Definitely a big block guy. Nothing against the small blocks of course. I'm from Massachusetts living in Michigan. Here's a few more pics of each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the 69... It has it's born with drive train, but I have that bagged in the corner so I can play a little. I'd cry if I put a rod through the numbers block.

[​IMG]

A little bit of the journey...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokey15 likes this.
  8. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Nice metalwork too

9. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    I had to love it. I noticed I had one of my jack stands up an extra click. Three tires off the ground. I guess my subframe connectors are working...
    Yesterday was rebuild the carb day. I finally had a couple minutes to look at the Z. I thought most of my running issues were tied to the fuel pump. It turns out that it was the carb. It's been sitting for quite a few years. I had the key on with the fuel pump and I could hear the fuel flowing into the carb. Flooding it... She would start fine initially every time, but then flood out if it stalled when it was cold. A thorough cleaning and a rebuild kit later and she's running better than she has in a long time. It used to have a 1050 Dominator on it, but it's a Holley 800 now with a front 6.5 PV, no rear PV and 70/85 jetting. I'm thinking about putting a 950 Dominator on it that a friend has instead though. I don't know if it really needs it or not.
    Unfortunately when I was putting the carb back on the fuel line between the float bowls started leaking. Now I need to find a 6" piece of what I believe is -6AN stainless fuel line. The blue tube is 3/8" (.375") It could be -8AN though. I need to look a little closer at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Nice car! I would, however, invest in better jackstands to put it that high. A guy in our club had his up like that and they tipped killing him. Don't want that to happen to you or anyone else.