79 to 70 front end swap?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by SPECTER, Feb 21, 2010.

1. SPECTER

SPECTER Member

Feb 17, 2010
    new england
    from the information ive gathered it can be done and i think it looks much better. whats everyones oppinion on mixing and matching parts from different years?

2. Rock Arnold

Rock Arnold Member

May 24, 2009
    texas
    I am doing the same modification now its on a 1977 and I am changing it to the 70-73 front end and rear end trunk and tail light/lower quarter sections. Nothing special about the 1977, just not a big bumper fan and had the parts available for the most part. So if thats what you like the just do it , it's your car. I believe that someone will like the earlier front end later rear and glass when you go to sell it.

3. Berlinetta1981

Berlinetta1981 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Cedar Falls, Iowa
    I've also considered doing that myself, i just don't have the parts available. If its what you want to do I would do it. it can always be changed back.

4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    It's ok if you go all the way and do the tail section to match, nothing looks tackier than a camaro with a 70 front end and a later rubber bumper and taillights.

I can deal with the later rear glass if the other parts are changed.....just my opinion.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My '72 came with a late model nose. He said he did it for aerodynamics, it was a drag car.
    I sold it right away, but iirc he said it was a bolt on, no problem modification??
    It's your car, and whatever you like is all that counts.
    I can't stand fake RS's, but I never stick my nose in when people want help or advice.
    Like anything else, wheels, colors, molding, ect ect. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
    I love the old alum slots with a satin finish. All the young guys think I'm nuts.
    Plain, ugly, heavy ect, but that's what all the big shots had, and I wanted them.

Good luck, and don't let any of us change your vision.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I suggest doing to your car what you wish. I agree though, theres something about a 70-73 front end with rubber bumper rear end. IMHO if you like the look of the 70-73, why not go buy one?

I have seen this done to a 75-77 and it doesnt look too bad. 78-81 is another story...:screwup:

7. SPECTER

SPECTER Member

Feb 17, 2010
    new england
    yeah when i bought the car all i was thinking was yes old camaro must have! haha. didnt realize the subtle differences between the 70 and 79. id like to change the back end into that rounded bumber style instead of the pointed bumper is there any way to do that without like replacing the entire shell of the car? are there parts i can buy? and if anyone has any pics id love to see some variations of mixed parts i couldnt find any on google. thanks for the help already guys much appreciated!

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

Changing the rear will require cutting and fabrication. They have different tail panels. Unless you are very skilled and have time on your hands, I wouldnt tackle it.

9. SPECTER

SPECTER Member

Feb 17, 2010
    new england
    yeah thats what i figured =(

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    WOW.This is one thing that should be a sticky.It comes up all the time,lol.