79 street/strip/corner carver

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SR79, Feb 21, 2008.

1. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Carrollton/Sherman, TX
    Onward and upward, 2018 was coming fast and we needed a way to close a pretty significant gap to the front of the GTV. We've scoured tons of build pictures and had some ideas for a while on how to revise the front suspension to fit a proper coilover and make it much more effective with a redesigned lower arm, along with redesigning the upper arm mounts to cure some issues with the base geometry.

[​IMG]
    Step 1: build a frame table

[​IMG]
    Step 2: disassemble car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Step 3: take a break to spot yourselves on Battle of the Builders

[​IMG]
    Step 4: hack and slash

[​IMG]
    Step 5: we will rebuild

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The march of progress

[​IMG]
    Step 6: redesign upper mounts for a less aggressive camber gain and significantly lower roll center

[​IMG]
    Step 7: mount coilovers (coilovers coming later..)

[​IMG]
    Step 8: NASCAR swaybar!

For better or worse, we're changing damn near everything. The car should be significantly stiffer, with a more compliant camber curve, and a vastly improved shock package front and rear to keep it all under control.

I've also started making video updates on our progress -

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Just under 2 months til NOLA, we'll be ready - the question is, how much testing will we be able to do before then?

G72Zed likes this.
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Wow, quite impressive. :)

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Oh man....this car has really come a long ways since I saw it last! Impressive work.

4. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Every iteration of this car it keeps getting cooler! (Well maybe except when you put an auto in it briefly...haha) Pictures look great as always, just watched the videos too. Noticed you were a south paw welding. So that's like me driving in Australia. I was surprised how banging gears wrong handed was so much easier than staying in my lane.

Seriously badass stuff. Inspiring you see you out there competing with a rubber nose set on KILL. Also kinda disappointing seeing how far mine will be from reliable if I really try to pound it hard. Mine won't be competitive, but I do hope it holds together when I throw it around.

I'm surprised to see a carb with those kind of G's. You using a GoPro or TrackAddict to record G forces? And is the race pan mainly what you're doing for oil control? I don't want the expense of a dry sump but am considering an Accusump.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  5. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Carrollton/Sherman, TX
    Thanks!

Thanks, John - we've become somewhat obsessed over the years (just realized I started this thread TEN years ago!)

Thanks Woody! We had fun with it as a drag car, too, but I love hanging corners with it. I'm a mix of lefty and righty depending on the task, but I can booger up some beads just as well with either. The things we've run into have come with getting pretty serious on massive tires, it was still a whole lot of fun before we went off the deep end..

We've had good luck with the carb, only thing that really throws it for a loop is spinning it. For data, I have an Android tablet with an external GPS running SoloStorm for autocross, RaceChrono for track. That's been a huge help for my driving, along with being able to see how much harder we're pushing the car.

We're using the Canton road race pan and a Moroso accumulator. After putting in the 421, we had oiling problems in right hand corners that necessitated the accumulator. Before that with the stock 400 block 377 we had no issues with the same pan. I'm not sure where the threshold would be on a stock pan, but in the long run it's fairly cheap insurance.

John Wright likes this.
  6. z28cp

z28cp Veteran Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Bellevue, NE
    Car is looking better and better!

You probably already know this, but... You should try to keep the coilovers as close to vertical as possible. The effective spring rate drops quickly as you start leaning them over. Mine are mounted to the outside of the front rollcage tube, with about 1/2" clearance between the tire and the spring. Bottom of the coilover out as far as possible on the lower arm, which it looks like you have covered.

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Saw you and the car on TV last week running against the other red 2nd gen, wow is all I have to say that car is planted........................

8. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I binge watched your channel on YouTube. I gotta quit screwing around with my Beretta and get the Camaro done! Haha

John Wright likes this.
  9. simso

simso Veteran Member

Jul 10, 1999
    Australia Perth WA
    Wow, what colour red is that.

Steve

10. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Carrollton/Sherman, TX
    Definitely took that into consideration. We went as vertical as we could given the packaging constraints. The main focus was on pushing the lower mount out as far as possible to improve the motion ratio, which is has a bigger effect than the angle correction.

Thanks! That was a blast, Cody in the other car is doing essentially the same changes so it will be fun to run against him again and see who got the formula correct, haha.

Don't resist the V8 rumble!

It's a color originally used on the PT Cruiser of all things called Salsa Red.