79 Maro, LED Turn Signal Lights Not Flashing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 79_maro, Jul 13, 2017.

1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    That might be the problem there actually. to me, that doesnt say "works when you have all led's" to me, that says it works with led's, as long as you still have incandescents in with led's.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Not sure about the early years but the rubber bumper Camaros seem to switch polarity in the circuit. (Front, side markers, IIRC.)
    I think a non-polar LED is required for those two lights.
    The rest of them can be Polar LEDs but you will need a electronic flasher (timer triggered) instead of the mechanical (resistance/heat) triggered one.

My logic for that reasoning:
    Turn your key to the "Run" position and turn on a signal light... All turn signals will flash at the same time, including the front,side marker lights.
    If you pull the headlight knob, the front side markers will change to flashing alternately with the front and rear.
    (Side markers flash when front and rear signals are off.)
    I may be wrong, but I believe the polarity in the circuit is changing when the headlight knob is pulled.

3. 79_maro

79_maro New Member

Jul 13, 2017
    That's what I thought too, but the tail lights are incandescent and the front bulbs are LED, so that kind of confuses me as to why the front ones don't flash.

4. 79_maro

79_maro New Member

Jul 13, 2017
    The problem though is that the front turn signals won't flash at all. They light up, but don't flash when I use the turn signal. They only stay at a solid state and don't blink as they're supposed to. Maybe its just my flasher or something entirely different? I replaced the old sockets and put LED specific ones in yesterday, and still, no blinking.