79 fuel vapor return line

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by szalkuskt, Jan 21, 2018.

1. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    I am putting on the drivers side brake line from the prop valve back to the rear diff. The trouble I have is I'm looking for the vapor line that gets bolted together with the brake line on the drivers side underneath. I wasn't sure where to post this but it is related to the fuel system vapor line. Where is the best place to buy this? Anyone have any photos of their metal vapor line? I thought I had one but it is only the 2 pc fuel return on the passenger side. I found this on Right stuff detailing. Has anyone used this for the vapor canister?https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/fem10s

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Do you still have your charcoal canister and emissions hooked up? If not you don't need that line.

3. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    i dont have any emissions. I am debating still how to take care of the vapors from the fuel tank and was thinking to run the canister. Can i buy a canister and somehow rig it up to function? If not any suggestions on taking care of the tank vapors.

4. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I run an old corvette brake booster filter on mine. There is a thread about it someplace if you search fuel tank vapors or such. The line runs from the vent outlet on the tank, and comes up to your filler neck.

5. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    OK, while I research that can you explain how it works? vent comes out of tank and up to filler neck? Can you explain what you mean by brake booster filter?

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Basically yes. Vent comes out of the tank thru the vent nipple, and the hose goes to just above the filler neck. On the end is a small in-line charcoal filter. The filter itself is a Delco model that they used inline from the brake booster to the carb. This was to keep fuel vapors out of the booster. My 79 has no emmissions, and a mechanical no-return fuel pump. This solved my vapor problem, and was very simple low cost install. Another member mounted a filter sysyetm in the back of his trunk with lines going in and out. It was a nice install. I searched for this thread for you, but came up empty handed. Unfortunatly, Photobucket has cut alot of our ties as well. I'll see if I have the part number at home. Perhaps by then, someone else might chime in. You're not the only one.

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What makes that one different from the one on our cars? Why is the Corvette filter special?

Seems like any brake booster filter would work, no?

8. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Do your self a favor, if you have the OG canister, put a small engine gas filter on the purge line, when it rusts out inside, the pellets get sucked in your carb.
    I'd still use a canister, it doesn't effect performance. The newer canister from the grand national doesn't use pellets. I searched for one of these.
    I did find a nOS one for 78 one day.

9. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    the corvette booster filter apparently has to be installed vertically to work according to someone in that corvette forum. Anybody else doing this? Any photos?